• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting rabbits - Help!

Munch

New Kit
Hoping someone has some advice on this.....

I adopted a girlfriend for my male rabbit a couple of months ago. They are both lop rabbits, and both just over a year old. He's been spayed but she hasn't.

Anyway - they had been living together and getting along fine, hadn't had any problems apart from him trying to hump her sometimes (usually in the evenings when i go out with food) - but he never gets anywhere, and it doesn't last very long until he get's bored.

Today I came home from work and there was fur everywhere (i am nearly positive it's from my male rabbit) and they were staring each other out. They then started jumping/chasing/fighting etc really fast round the hutch - seemed to be her chasing him mostly. We have separated them and he's been really timid and scared since, but seems unharmed. She seems fine too, but she always has been a lot more active and more dominant.

Can anyone suggest what's gone wrong and why they are now fighting? Will they ever live together again? If I had the female spayed, would they be able to live together again? Hoping someone can help - it was so horrible watching them fighting and I really want them to live together happily and keep each other company. Thanks

I think most people on here would advise you get your female spayed as soon as possible. She wants to breed and is finding him very frustrating. Neutering should calm her considerably.

Neil

If he has been humping her he will have induced her to ovulate ( Does are induced ovulators) so she now probably *thinks* she is pregnant and so does not want anything to do with the Buck.
Spaying her and allowing time for her to recover from the op' and for residual hormonal behaviour to die down may make it possible for you to rebond them. This would need to take place on 100% neutral territory

Janex

Thanks for the advice, will ring the vet tomorrow and hopefully get her booked in asap. Poor bunnies, I thought it was going so well for them!! Fingers crossed for a sucessful re-bonding in a few weeks.

Any tips for after the op - what care will she need? Can I still let her in a run or keep her in her hutch?

Thanks

Back