• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sick rabbit?

I am new to this so sorry if I have put this in the worng place, or sound like an ignorant idiot. I bought a netherland dwarf for my daughter in April. She is a house rabbit with an attitude but adorable. In the last few weeks she has really started to smell, or at least her house has! She is now almost 6 months old and the smell is becoming so strong that I am feeling sick. She is still full of energy and eating well and very nosey. He poo's have become a little more loose than normal but other than that she is still the same as when we first got her. It's mainly the smell which has only started this last few weeks. Do I need to take her to a vet?

I am new to this so sorry if I have put this in the worng place, or sound like an ignorant idiot. I bought a netherland dwarf for my daughter in April. She is a house rabbit with an attitude but adorable. In the last few weeks she has really started to smell, or at least her house has! She is now almost 6 months old and the smell is becoming so strong that I am feeling sick. She is still full of energy and eating well and very nosey. He poo's have become a little more loose than normal but other than that she is still the same as when we first got her. It's mainly the smell which has only started this last few weeks. Do I need to take her to a vet?

She may have just reached puberty and it could be the hormones in her wee that are making her smelly? Having her spayed would correct this and would also protect her from developing Uterine Infections/Cancer as an adult Doe. Up to 80% of entire Does get UC sometime after 3 years of age.

Alternatively she may have a urinary tract infection

If her poos are soft it may be that she is not eating the correct diet (ie too much pellet/cereal mix and not enough hay) 80% of a Bun's diet should be hay. The only need a tiny portion of pellet feed once a day and can also have a variety of Veg. All new food should be introduced gradually and just one variety at a time.

I would book your Bun in for a check-up with the Vet. You can then discuss the spaying option and vaccinations (Myxomatosis and VHD) if she has not already had them

Good Luck :D

Janex

My Nala was given up to be rehomed as the couple couldnt cope with her smell any longer, as well as her coat. When i got her she really stunk but got her spayed and changed her to a better diet of lots of hay and some pellet food and the smell went within a few weeks :D :D What food do you feed her on?
Definitely get her spayed :D

Oh and.. dont worry about posting questions.. we are all here to help each other and dont think any questions are silly or ignorant ;) :D

I didn't realise that she should be eating so much hay. She hasn't been eating so much of that lately. When she has finished her cereal mix she throws her bowl around the room. Big time attitude, like my daughter I think! lol I have just been filling it up as soon as she has finished. I even had to get a heavy based bowl to stop the tantrums but she still has a go at lobbing it accross the room. At least she has personality!:roll:
Thanks for the advice :D

:wave: Hiya, glad you found us!!

Before I got my rabbit Pippa spayed her wee smelt very strong indeed, I remember posting about it. She was also a stroppy madam. I spayed her and her wee smell reduced considerably as well as making her a much happier rabbit without those hormones. It's worth asking the RSPCA in your area if they have any neutering vouchers to reduce costs and the PDSA if you qualify.

Kathryn x

YAY someone from Plymouth :)

as the advice already given I would reccomend getting her spayed. i have 2 boy buns and before they were nuterd they used to spray their urine which used to smell a bit. good luck:)

Back