• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loosing his fur...

Liloupricou

Young Bun
Hi All,

I'm a bit worried (to not say a lot) about my little one, he's loosing his fur a lot.

I don't know why, we moved house recently and I know that he's been a bit lost with the changes and as we have been busy packing and unpacking he didn't get as much attention as he's normaly used to.

He's got a patch on his back where the vet done his jab last time at the end of March / beginning of April.

I'm really worried that something is wrong with him. But in the other hand he's eating normally, drinking plenty of water, jumping around in the new house, he loves playing in the curtain so... I don't know. We are off on holiday this Saturday for a week I book him to a boarding house for the week, but I'm worried now...

If someone can help me or giving me some advice it will be nice, I'm new to the all rabbit world :(

Thanks

Lilou and Little Tiny

Can you describe the fur loss. The bald patch from his jab could be from a reaction and the fur hasn't grown back.

Does he have other fur loss? Is it in patches or in lines? Is the skin underneath normal looking or scabby?

Tam

Sorry I didn't explain very well...
Where he had his jab the hair grown back much darker than his normal colour.
when I picked him up or brush him there are lots of hair coming off, it's everywhere really... it's not like if he was only loosing hair on a definite part of his body. he's skin his normal no problem with that.

That's okay :) Occationally fur does grow in a different colour (a bit like a scar on people). What colour is he? Sometimes the fur can look a different colour as it comes through, particularly in agouti (wild colour) rabbits. The tips of the fur is black and the rest of the strand brown going to grey at the base so it looks very dark when it initially starts growing and just the tip is through.

The other fur loss sound like a normal moult. Once or twice a year rabbits have a big moult to replace their coat for the change in weather but some rabbits moult more often. You can help by grooming him with a fine tooth comb to get the loose fur out. The amount they seem to loose is really amazing but perfectly normal. When you stroke him you can end up with a pile of fur at the end. Sometimes they'll moult so much it comes out in tufts or they'll moult in a line down their back so they get odd patterns where the fur is different lengths.

I hope that helps :)

Tamsin

Cool! He's got black hair and all the ones that he's been loosing are grey/white so maybe you're right he's just moulting!
Thanks for your help!
I love him so much that I just want the best for him and want him to be happy after the bad start he had
Thanks for your help again

Back