• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Runs Advice Please

nixxy83

Young Bun
We have an indoor rabbit (Smudge) and he doesnt get to run free all day as there is no way of shutting him off, so he remains in his cage which I dont think is fair and comes out at night and in morning.

I want to get him a run, but have heard that you cant put them in run and then go out, is this true?

What should I do? As i want him to get exercise but dont want anything to happen to him?

Can you not bunny proof a room and let him play in there? Do you mean you want to let him play outside? As long as the run is secure he should be fine, but it does depend on how safe your garden is. Mine has very high fences and two high locked gates, plus we have no foxes here so I am happy for them to always have access to their runs unless the weather is very bad :D Mine all have the runs attached to their hutches so they can get some shelter if they want to :D

I want to get him a run, but have heard that you cant put them in run and then go out, is this true?

QUOTE]

I would be intested to find out why you cannot put them in a run and then go out. I cannot see any rationale why this is not ok. Like anyhouse where rabbits are indoors the majority of the house should be bunny proofed in case of escapees. This would be the same for any rabbit who is let out in a run in a garden, the garden should also be secure.

I supervise my buns in the run but that's because I have open-topped runs and the chance of a fox wandering past and fancying a snack is something I wouldn't want to risk (despite the fact I'm quite rural so the foxes aren't as brave as those that wander in and out of town gardens - just wouldn't take the risk!)
But if the run is escape-proof and predator-proof (bear in mind that foxes can flip runs over or rip off weak mesh) and they're safe enough (e.g. had a shaded area if in sunlight, have water, can't dig out, no toys they could get trapped in like those fabric tunnels, etc) you can leave them in it unattented.

Thats great thank you,

Next thing is where is the best place to buy one from and how big should it be?

All I want is a happy and healthy bunny, he is happy at the moment but i do feel that he should be getting more exercise than he does.

I am in Nottingham

Back