• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weather - Thunder

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
My two bunnies stay outside in a hutch. I know they dont like rain so I can get a waterproof cover to solve that problem but what about thunder? Should I bring them indoors when this happens?

It thundered so LOUD last night that we woke up, dog started barking and was really scared. Checked on the buns and they were in their hutch. They are fine at the moment. As long as they have somewhere to hide, they should be ok. There is no harm in taking them inside though if you are really worried, but honestly they should be fine...

Mine are not scared during thunderstorms. The only time I took them inside was when that really bad storm hit the country a few months ago. I was scared that the fence would be blown onto the hutch or the roof of the hutch would fly off. Fireworks don't seem to bother them, either. Not sure how their hearing differs from that of cats and dogs.

Thunder doesn't bother mine either. I watched them through the kitchen window during the last storm we had. They ignored the rain and continued grazing on the grass. At the first peal of thunder Bournville periscoped and looked around whereas Floss just continued eating:)D ). It wasn't till it hailed that they actually ran for cover.

My lot don't mind adverse weather. They're not fans of very heavy rain or hail but thunder doesn't really bother them unless it is really loud.

Mine don't even appear to react to fireworks....I started wondering if they were deaf, but they definately hear food approaching!:lol:

Our rabbit Milky (reverse 'twin' to Silky) died of fright in a thunderstorm when a huge bolt of lightning struck really close to us. It didn't touch down anywhere near us, but was so loud, I guess her heart just stopped due to the fright of the sound. Up to that moment, both Milky and Silky were grazing in their pen and seemingly unaffected by the storm.

Back