• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing very bad

holder

Alpha Buck
i have just been outside to the 2 boys & 1 of them was really sneezing quite bad, he was sit up & rubbing his nose as to move something, when he stopped sneezing a lot of stuff come a way & fall on the floor & it was whiteish in colour & seemed to be like what we lose, when i picked him up he seem to be fine but a little warm, but it is not cold out.
he is eating normally & his eyes are clear. i will be taking him to the vets in the morning, but just wondered if anyone could help me out.

-

Hi your rabbit has got what my Rabbit had. when I first brought her home as a baby last year. from white post farm in Notts where I live.

that is the SNUFFLES virus what your rabbit has is this as I noticed my rabbit snezzing befor I even got her home. I found she was sneezing in the box she came in. in my car to my home .

and later on about a day later I then saw the white / yellow in colour mucus from her nose. which instantly ment she had the Snuffles which is a serious virus. which can lead to a chest infection. then death later if not treated imideately at the vets.
with antibiotics to cure the problem and make the rabbit well again.
I think it's 2 weeks of antibiotic treatment as my rabbit was on this and after the 2 weeks she was well again. :)

I think as soon as you 've seen the white'ish mucus from nose it's vets quickly as poss. if you leave it until later then you may lose the rabbit .

so I think you've done the right thing by taking the rabbit to the vets I hope the vet has court this in time for you befor it has spread threw the body.:(

did you say you have another rabbit with the infected 1 ?. if so that rabbit will or could catch the same symptoms from the infected rabbit with the virus .
as this Snuffles is a virus it will of course spread to your other rabbit that is either living with it. or is near the infected rabbit .

if you had 1 rabbit the infection would then go after the antibiotic course of 2 weeks. as you have no other rabbit in which the virus would infect .

having 2 rabbits living with each other will of course the virus will spread bettween them .
infecting 1 then the other. if you have more than 2 rabbits living either with each other or next door to 1 an other the virus will spread quickly from 1 rabbit to the next until all the rabbits you keep are infected with the cold or flue like virus. tipicaly known as Snuffles or pasteurllosis infection which is the techinical word for this virus.:)

so you have done the very right thing by taking that 1 rabbit to the vets but i would sergest on the safe side of things to get the other looked at to if it has not court or has court the virus.:)

please let us know if they well thanks.;)
and i hope my info for you helps .

i know it's an auful thing to have to go threw but when their well again you feel relived .
so best wishes to your bunnies and your self .:)

one of mine did that once before too and he did so cos he got water up his nose when trying to drink from a bowl.. also done it when he got a tiny bit of dried grass up his nose.. it never re-occurred. It could well be that he has developed snuffles but could also be that he just had something irritating his nose. If he keeps doing it id definitely get him checked out at the vets though

one of mine did that once before too and he did so cos he got water up his nose when trying to drink from a bowl.. also done it when he got a tiny bit of dried grass up his nose.. it never re-occurred. It could well be that he has developed snuffles but could also be that he just had something irritating his nose. If he keeps doing it id definitely get him checked out at the vets though

I agree my rabbit kept sneezing constantly, although nothing was coming out of her nose it was more like a irritation, I changed their bedding to dust extracted hay and that solved the problem, however if there is mucas coming out of their nose its best to get it checked out.
Sallyx

Thank you for your help, i got in to the vets this morning & the vet said he now as SNUFFLES virus, & he had an antibiotic injection & i have to syringe him with Baytril every day now, for 2 weeks but he is back at the vets on tuesday again for a check.
The vet checked his chest & said that was good. He is eating a lot & drinking & running around as normal so thankful he should be alright, but i am keeping my eye on the other 2 rabbits.I took the other rabbit with me to the vets but she never checked him over & said if he as not been sneezing he will be fine??? I have always disinfected all their stuff & where they live as well as they are messing little devils & make sure they keep me busy, but i was going a way today but as always with pets im now staying at home to look after the little man it is going to be hard to syringe him as i can not tame them, they come up to me for food but as soon as you pick them up it like they want to kill me.
Honey is a house rabbit but as been close to them when outside but she is fine & no sneezing at all, but do you think the other rabbit who is with him 24-7 should be treated as well, if so i will take him on monday and make sure they treat him as well.
Thank you for your help & thank god for this forum, i would be lost without it :D you have been a great help.

Back