• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Itchy skin/fur pulling - U/D reaction to VHD jab??

Rosie Rabbit

Mama Doe
I've noticed over the last 24 hours that Rosie is turning round to nibble and pull fur from her shoulders (one in particular). She's also scratching there a lot.

The skin looks a bit red and I'm wondering if it's broken (as when I investigate she flinches and runs away), but it doesn't look too bad.

I've had bunnies with cheyletiella mites before and I can't see any evidence of them (although I can't be 100% sure).

She had her VHD jab last week - could it be a reaction to that?

She's fine in herself but I have noticed her eating the fur she pulls out. I know some people give pineapple and papaya tablets when their buns are moulting - should I do this? I've just read on the RWA website that they may not be much use. She is still eating lots of hay which I suppose is the best thing to keep the gut moving.

We are planning taking her to the vet tomorrow, but does anyone have any advice or thoughts as to what it might be?

Last edited:
Theres been mny debates about those tablets, and from my cynical stance, the enzymes can't possible be active, so fresh pineapple is much better, and a heck of a lot cheaper. Although if shes not eating too much fur, I wouldn't worry too much.

Is the red area where the vacc was adminstered? Is it just located in that one wee area?

I think if her poops are joined together - like a string - that is a sign she is ingesting (right word:roll: ) her fur. It sounds like a reaction to her jab area but I am sure someone else will answer soon!

Thanks for your replies :)

I'm a bit cynical about the tablets myself :? I would have thought the VHD was administered more in the scruff area than in her shoulder, but can't be sure. My O/H took her for her jab, so will check with him later.

She has had a couple of poos joined together, so she is ingesting some fur. Will maybe get some fresh pineapple juice to syringe (I think the fresh fruit can irritate their lips as it's so acidic - according to RWA site anyway) and make sure she's eating plenty of hay.

Just wondered if anyone else had had this kind of thing after a vaccination?

I have not heard of these tablets before, but I know a lot of rabbit owners who offer fresh pineapple, pineapple juice or kiwi fruit to help the hairs pass through the digestive tract.

Thanks to all who replied.

We've had Rosie at the vet today, and there's no evidence of mites. She pulled quite a bit of fur out of her shoulder yesterday and it was quite inflamed, so there's a bit of a bald patch.

The vet thinks it is probably a reaction to the VHD jab - that it maybe caused a nodule under the skin which has been irritating her. We didn't notice anything at the time, although she was quiet for a couple of days last week after she had the jab. The vet said because the Cylap vaccine is an oily substance it could have caused a nodule under the skin :?

Does this ring any bells with anyone or has anyone had this same problem after a booster jab?

hi, vaccinations can cause a reaction under/in the skin and with the cylap being an oily vaccine, it will prob be particularly irritating. Vaccines can cause animals to be quiet the day or two afterwards but it is usually only if the vaccine is 'live' (as in it contains a small amount of the disease that is being vaccinated against, in order to produce an immune response within the animal's own body). As far as im aware, cylap is not a live vaccine (we had someone at work complain that their rabbit had a reaction and i checked the bottles, im pretty sure they are not live but could be wrong). However, people do say that the vaccines affect their rabbits. Vaccines can cause irritation, itchiness and depression. it should pass soon.

Back