• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spaying risks for older bunnies?

vick

Alpha Buck
Can anyone offer any advice on spaying risks for older bunnies?

A friend has rescued a six year old doe which has not yet been spayed. She is keen to for her have to have the op because of the risk of uterine cancer but worried about the risks of putting her through surgery at her age.

I think it depends on the general health of the rabbit. As an example, Rusty (apart from being blind) was in excellent health and did not look her 7 years.... she was spayed at 7 when taken in to a rescue.

I personally had a similar case and I decided not to spay as the risk outweighed the extra life I felt she may gain. I think this one is down to personal feelings as it could go either way :(

It's a difficult one... I think for me I wouldn't put the bunny through it. It's quite a major op, after all.

If the bunny is in good health I would do it. The risk of uterine cancer far outweighs the risk of surgery.

I'd ask the Vet to run a blood profile to check Kidney/Liver function and a CONCIOUS Chest X-ray to assess lungs ( for scaring/metastisis from a uterine cancer already in situ). If major organ function and chest X-ray were OK I'd have her spayed
I would not put an older Bun through a GA for a routine neuter without checking Kidney/Liver function first

Janex :)

Back