• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New arrival, they're lying together. A question or two.

mabster

Young Bun
Good evening, it's almost the morning.
So the little een arrived tonight. I beautiful pure lionhead, probably going to have a full main.
So the little scamp has settled down unbelievably quickly.
The first introduction didn't go too well so we tried later on this evening on the bed.
After a bit of sniffing etc the two are lying down side by side. Is this progress or is it too fast? Naturally the cage environment will be harder to bond.

They look so beautiful. Oakley is around 10 weeks and newb is 7 (name to be decided, suggestions please) Oakley is a fair bit larger as the new ones mother was somewhat smaller. I do believe they may be cousins?

What beautiful animals :)

Michael Balmain

At such a young age many rabbits will settle down very quickly with a new partner. There is no right and wrong amount of time they will take to settle together. I do hope that you have kept these together tonighr, rather than splitting them up, if you ensure that the cage is thoroughly cleaned settling them in the cage may not be a problem with such young buns.

Are these boy / girl pair or 2 girls or 2 boys?

Well it's 01:03 and we're still up with the little dudets. As dudets suggests they are both girls :). There were no boy left in the litter.
I was a little disturbed by Oakleys 'humping'. First it was on the head of Bailey then the rear. I broke this up as soon as I realised what was going on! Shocking..
As it's somewhat late we're discussing whether or not to clean the cage down. It's a three tier one with vet bedding so may take a while.
I'm going to put them in together just now and supervise them. If theres any hostility I'll sort em out. :)

I would have a trip to the vets and ask them to be sexed properley just in case one of them is a boy... otherwise you will have many more bunnies on your hands... do post piccies!!!

Baby buns usually do settle down together pretty quickly and easily. I'm surprised at 10weeks that Oakley is humping but this is something female buns do as a dominance thing. And like ob said, I would ask the vet to double check their sex when you take them for their check ups or vax's. You should be ok for now as 7weeks is too young for a bun to get pregnant anyway. I look forward to photos!!! :D

putting a new, baby bunny into Oakley's uncleaned cage is a recipie for disaster as she will probably object very strongly, and if they fight badly she may never accept the new bunny (not to mention she may injure it) - it should really be disinfected and all bedding changed to get rid of her smell - and preferably put the cage in a new part of the room just to make it seem 'new'.

Please be aware also that bonding and going to a new home is very stressful for the new baby bunny as well as for Oakley - Be careful not to introduce any new foods into the baby's diet for a month or so, while she settles in, or she may get sick - and do get them both sexed by an expert as it's easy to make a mistake with bunny bits :)

Morning.
Well I stayed up til 03:30 before I dozed off and then woke up a few times after that. They appeared to get on along well. Oakley occasionally chased Bailey but there was no biting involved. They are currently frolocking around on the bed.
I'll attempt to get some pics the noo :)

Once again thank you or your advice.

Back