• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay-little white crawlies

Isabel

Warren Veteran
I've just got a bag of Hay and there are tiny tiny little white crawlies in there. Only a couple. Are they hay mites? are they harmful to buns or is it still ok to use?

I don't think I will. Luckily I brought some forrage as well today as they are completly out of Hay now grrrrr I'm a bit stuffed really!

This thread reminds me just how possible it is that our buns get these nasty parasites, one celled protozoas, bacteria and maybe even viruses from hay, that then sends them into GI stasis where they can die so quickly :shock:
Does anyone else think that might be true?? I wonder if it would be advisable to microwave hay, in some kind of microwave safe bag--or is that completely ridiculous??

This thread reminds me just how possible it is that our buns get these nasty parasites, one celled protozoas, bacteria and maybe even viruses from hay, that then sends them into GI stasis where they can die so quickly :shock:
Does anyone else think that might be true?? I wonder if it would be advisable to microwave hay, in some kind of microwave safe bag--or is that completely ridiculous??

As much as I love my rabbits, I imagine any sort of microwaving of bales of hay would be well beyond my patience! :shock: :shock:

I'm always scared of what nasties I might find in my hay though, after people have found dead birds and mice and frogs and stuff *shudder*. I think about it every time I put my hand in the bag!

lolol But not to microwave a whole bale, just a handful each time you feed them :lol: The 1 or 2 minutes a day of microwaving would be well worth it to ward off illneses, in lieu of hours of syringe feeding and hours waiting in the emergency vets, not to mention the hardache, no?
I'm sure I'm grasping at straws,- no pun intended :eek:

Yeah bit eventually it would add up to microwaving hay bales... ;) :shock: .

In honesty I have no idea what can be caught from hay, so no clue about how worthwhile it would be. Judging by the state of the inside of my mirowave, the hay would be more dangerous to the buns after I'd microwaved it.

It's interesting though, the things that hay can carry, especially since our buns spend their days eating it, digging it, lying in it, sniffing around in it, etc etc.

oh thats right I forgot that a lot of people use hay for bedding too, or in litter boxes even-- that would be a lot of microwaving :shock:
I use hay for eating only, in raised racks! My buns have lots of washable throw rugs, for laying about instead of on hay.

Back