• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

She wet herself!- what could have caused it ?

Last night I was beside myself - and need some advice....
It was Snowflake and Isaacs birthday yesterday so they had quite an eventful day with new toys and new hay products....
Anyways they are free range when I am at home -
So I went up to bed, carrying all their stuff with me , I went into my room and normally they come running for food... but Snowflake didnt get up , and was just lying there... *panic stations* So I went to her, and saw she had wet herself and was just lying there - Its not at all normal for her..
So I bathed her and dried her. Cos my first thought was her back legs had gone :cry: but I put her down she thumped big time at me * so I know it wasnt the legs lol :lol: * and she didnt want dinner.
I put her on a clean towel - she spent 20 minutes washing herself *obviously I hadnt done a good job* and then she was eating and back to normal.

Anyone elses bunnies done this ? I have kept an eye on her allllll night - and she seems ok, and she had no problems eating my breakfast this morning like usual :roll: :lol: . I will take her to the vets when I get back if I dont think shes totally 100 percent...
Anyone know what might have happened ? I am hoping it was cos shes eaten a few things that maybe didnt agree with her in all her new toys. Help would be appreciated! * damn bunnies* they cause us so much stress and sleepless nights.

She may have a urinary tract infection (cystitis). I would take her to the Vet anyway as urinary incontinence is not normal in a healthy rabbit and the fact she was off her food last night indicates that she may have been in some discomfort. She could have 'bladder sludge' which can cause pain, inflammation and infection.

Janex

My Rolo has done this twice - both times a UTI as Jane has suggested. She has got antibiotics both times and it has cleared up. As she is having it recurring we are trying to cut down on calcium in case little crystals are aggravating her bladder. But it probably is just a simple UTI. Good luck xx

I would suggest a UTI too. It can be easily cleared up with a course of antibioitcs and some painkillers to remove the pain which leads to 'lopsided' and strained urination thus wetting the rabbit.

It could also be stones if the urine is gritty or the diet too high in calcium.

Thankyou guys!
I have been in major panic all day at work wondering what would happen when I got home....
Checked her out completley and checked her litter tray and everything - and so far no problems. any change in her behaviour again any time soon and I am straight down the vets. Another question - will they ask for a urine sample from her ? - cos I cant imagine thats going to be all that easy to get :roll: :oops: - oh well bunnies what can ya do with them

Probably only if she fails to respond to antibiotics.....but they ask you the colour and texture.

Thankyou guys!
I have been in major panic all day at work wondering what would happen when I got home....
Checked her out completley and checked her litter tray and everything - and so far no problems. any change in her behaviour again any time soon and I am straight down the vets. Another question - will they ask for a urine sample from her ? - cos I cant imagine thats going to be all that easy to get :roll: :oops: - oh well bunnies what can ya do with them

I had to get a urine sample from a rabbit once to get him tested for Diabetes, I took all the bedding out of his hutch (it was cleaning out day) and sat him back in there on a plastic sheet and went round cleaning the others out, within about 20 mins he'd done a wee so I siphoned it up with a pipette and put it in a urine sample container. Lovely :shock:

The things we do for rabbits hey :roll:

(oh and he tested negative BTW)

You can get special litter for the tray that dosnt affect or absorb the urine if you need to get a sample. I think vets supply it on demand ;)

Back