• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

zeb gi stasis yet again?

zeb - poo glorious poo

originally put this on the temporary forum

thanks jane and rallybunny for your responses - will certainly speak to vet about it. as for hay eating - he normally eats tons of hay and since he turned 6 months i've limited his pellets. i wonder if perhaps i ought to cut down on the veg i give him as he gets a lot of the green carrot tops and spring greens and i know they are high in calcium.

he's also always been really runty and skinny so i dont know if this is anything to do with it.

anyway back to my original post:

zeb was stamping his feet a lot again yesterday although he was very perky and was binkying round the garden most of the day, as well as climbing on the coffee table and the settee etc

he just didnt seem his usual self and looked to be trying to go to the loo but nothing was happening. his appetite wasnt too great - he had some pear but left some of it, lots of carrot tops, some pellets and i caught him eating some hay. before i went to bed he'd produced some smallish poos. we gave him some of the leftover zantac and a tummy rub. at 1am gail checked on him and he'd done some normal sized poos. he also ate some more carrot tops and had finished off his pellets.

this morning no poos. but he's eaten some greens, some pellets and ive given him some blackberry leaves. he's still really lively, in fact he's driving me potty trying to get behind fish tank.

off to the vets tonight though if theres no poo.

i have noticed though that he's always chewing everything, carpet, newspaper, the fence, the table, my toes. do you think there could be something lacking in his diet? i feed him SS, lots of greens and good quality hay. he has tons of toys and the only thing i think he might need is a mate but we've put off bonding him with frida due to them both having gi stasis and not wanting to stress them.

he did eat part of a dvd box yesterday before i had chance to stop him so i think that might be responsible for his sore tummy today. he truly is a nightmare. i also caught him on the coffee table with a packet of timothy grass seed in his mouth but i took that off him in time

Last edited:
Here is my reply posted on temp' forum :

Oh dear poor Zeb

When a Bun seems to crave fibrous paper, wood etc it can indicate a problem in their caecum. A diet lacking in fibre (hay) can cause this and can lead to cecal impactation (soft poos get stuck)

The 'straining to go to the loo' you describe could be a symptom of cystitis. Has Zeb ever had a history of sludgey wee? Has your Vet ever considered bladder sludge as a primary cause of Zebs recurent GI problems? The pain from his bladder causing the physiological response of a reduced GI motility?

I hope Zeb will feel better soon

Janex

Back