• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT: desperately need a course of Panacur/ Lapizole

podlet

Warren Scout
We suspect that our dear little bun, Poppy, has an e-cunniculi infection which at this late stage (a week since we began noticing loss of balance) our vet has yet to diagnose. Her balance is growing steadily worse and she is stumbling in almost every step.

We've had a series of pricy x-rays which indicate an old injury, but in our vet's opinion this is not the cause of the sudden downturn in her balance. She's currently on a course Metacam in case of inflammation, but after 4 days, there is no improvement and in fact she is getting worse.

We're not sure how long an e-cunniculi takes before it becomes fatal.

We have just ordered some Lapizole online, but only expect it in anothr 3 days. We have just contacted an emergency vet who "will need to see the rabbit before we can make a diagnosis and possibly prescribe a treatment".

At £104 for a weekend appointment, to be seen by someone who might not know the intricacies of exotic animals and not even have the necessary treatment in stock, we feel the prodding and poking would cause Poppy undue stress. We would rather wait the extra day and see our local vet.

If it is an e-cuniculi infection (which we are almost sure it is), given the seriousness of the symptoms, we would rather start treatment immediately, and were wondering if anyone inside the M25 or in Milton Keynes, has any spare Panacur/ Lapizole on hand that we could buy or replace as soon as our arrives.... Or anyone knows of a vet who could supply us with some on Sunday?

We are prepared to come out and fetch wherever it is.

Most worriedly,
Cord and Lee

Hia I'm so sorry thats awful! I can't say what is wrong with your bunny but i'm sure more experienced members will reply soon.

Panacur - I have some spare but am not sure its the right type for you. I've got the boxes of syringe feed ones dose for 9 days that I think are meant for preventative measures rather than actually treating it? Maybe someone on here could confirm???? Otherwise you are welcome to come and get some.

Have you been giving your rabbit Probiotic in their water? Avipro Plus is brilliant.

Thank you both for the kind offers... We have been beside ourselves with worry, not knowing how much time we have before its fatal or what the recovery course will be like..

That said, I slept marginally easier last night feeling as though we have isolated the problem and can do what it takes to help our bun... That feeling of helplessness as we watched Poppy deteriorate was soul-destroying...

Hopefully will be getting a full dose of Panacur today from Jill...

*warmth*
podlet

Thank you Kim and Romy for the offers...

We have just come back from collecting some Panacur from Jane -- thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Was lovely to meet you Jane, albeit briefly, and just as warm in person as your online presence...

Will keep you posted on little Poppy's progress...

Cord and podlet, xx

Just a quick update to everyone who has been so caring and helpful. We don't want to get our hopes up too much at this early stage but it looks like Poppy's condition hasn't worstened and in fact, she seems quite a lot more chipper today.

Thanks to the Panacur, Avipro and Metacam, she certainly seems a little more steady on her paws so we're holding thumbs that she makes a full recovery!

podlet said:
Just a quick update to everyone who has been so caring and helpful. We don't want to get our hopes up too much at this early stage but it looks like Poppy's condition hasn't worstened and in fact, she seems quite a lot more chipper today.

Thanks to the Panacur, Avipro and Metacam, she certainly seems a little more steady on her paws so we're holding thumbs that she makes a full recovery!

I am so pleased to hear that Poppy's condition appears to have stabalised :)
Her recovery my be slow but it is possible for her to get better :)

Janex

Back