• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lactating during phantom pregnancy?! Is this common??

Squiffy

Young Bun
Just back from the vets, this time with Munchkin.

Concerned about an uneven lump which came up in a matter of days on one of her lower nipples. She's had mammory swellings before when in season and despite being unspayed these have ALWAYS gone down after a few days.

But this lump seemed different to usual and i was understandably concerned.

The vet had a really good feel and said the lump was definietly attached to a nipple and that the opposite nipple lump was a similar shape, just not as big. She thought perhaps there was infection - still not ruled out - but on pressing the nipple she was as surprised as i was to see milk coming out. No smell so not infected and not puss, just proper milk.

I most definietly have 3 girls and there is no way Munchkin could be pregnant. She has been busy of late with the other two in their regular nest building activities so this tallies with the phantom pregnancy suggestion.

But is it weird for her to produce milk? She's never had her own litter so it can't be a left over.

The vet said she had only once since lactation in a phantom pregnancy and that was a hamster.

So my friends on the board - what do you think? Is this common or just very bizarre?

Hazel xx

I read only today in the Rabbiting On magazine that it is possible for does to lactate due to a phantom pregnancy.

To be honest if your vet doesn't know that I'd think about finding another vet :?

Is there any reason your does aren't spayed? I don't know if you are aware (and apologise if you are!) but spaying would drastically reduce the chances of uterine cancer, breast cancer and those awful hormones in your rabbits

If yoru rabbit is producing milk she is in a false rpegnancy not a phantom, in a false pregnancy the body of the rabbit starts to prepare itself for babies, your rabbit will need a hormone injection to stop this as it can be dangerous.

Phill said:
If yoru rabbit is producing milk she is in a false rpegnancy not a phantom, in a false pregnancy the body of the rabbit starts to prepare itself for babies, your rabbit will need a hormone injection to stop this as it can be dangerous.

Phill - or anyone - can you tell me more about this injection? What could happen if she doesn't have this injection? What is the hormone and what does it do?

My vets are usually really good, i've taken all sorts of pets there over the years, but why would that not have suggested this to me, especially as Munchkin is insured? They also say Munchkin is too old to be spayed and have said that for many years now. I really can't change vet practices as i live in the middle of nowhere as it is!

Cheers x

The injection is testosterone, i have three buns have it, if they aren't brought out of the false pregnancy they can begin to loose weight and develop other health problems, get gut stasis and bloat, the can develop mastitis (sp) amongst other things. I have had three rabbit go through a false pregnancy most recently Eva who was given her injection 4 weeks ago and spayed 2 weeks ago, Pan was 2-3 years ago now and she was also spayed and molly was last year, molly wasn't spayed as she was 5 then and my vet isn't kean on spaying older buns unless apsolutly necessary, and unless Molly had another false pregnancy we wouldn't spay her and fortunatly she has been fine. Spayed is advised for other reasons and i do not routinly spay any female that comes in, most rescue routinly spay but not all and unless i have a problem with one of my females they stay unneutered, but spaying can provent, unterine cancer, hormone problems, phantom and false pregnancy, myometra/pyometra in the uterus.

hope that helps xxx

Phill said:
The injection is testosterone, i have three buns have it, if they are brought out of the false pregnancy they can begin to loose weight and develop other health problems, get gut stasis and bloat, the can develop mastitis (sp) amongst other things. I have had three rabbit go through a false pregnancy most recently Eva who was given her injection 4 weeks ago and spayed 2 weeks ago, Pan was 2-3 years ago now and she was also spayed and molly was last year, molly wasn't spayed as she was 5 then and my vet isn't kean on spaying older buns unless apsolutly necessary, and unless Molly had another false pregnancy we wouldn't spay her and fortunatly she has been fine. Spayed is advised for other reasons and i do not routinly spay any female that comes in, most rescue routinly spay but not all and unless i have a problem with one of my females they stay unneutered, but spaying can provent, unterine cancer, hormone problems, phantom and false pregnancy, myometra/pyometra in the uterus.

hope that helps xxx

Thanks for that P. So what would happen if i did not get the hormone injection done? Sounds to me like problems either way? Munchkin only weighs 1.27kg as it is and already has a sensitive tummy, so i'd rather she didn't lose any more weight. If i left her be, would could the outcome be? x

you will have more problems if you don't dtop the false pregnancy than if you do, there are no problems after unless she has anothe one but lots of problems if you don't stop it

Phill said:
you will have more problems if you don't dtop the false pregnancy than if you do, there are no problems after unless she has anothe one but lots of problems if you don't stop it

Sorry to go on Phill but you've not said what problems can occurr if its left unteated? I need to know what i'm dealing with since my vets doesn't seem to know.

Many thanks x

Phill said:
The injection is testosterone, i have three buns have it, if they aren't brought out of the false pregnancy they can begin to loose weight and develop other health problems, get gut stasis and bloat, the can develop mastitis (sp) amongst other things. Spayed is advised for other reasons it can provent, unterine cancer, hormone problems, phantom and false pregnancy, myometra/pyometra in the uterus.

hope that helps xxx

Phill said:
Phill said:
The injection is testosterone, i have three buns have it, if they aren't brought out of the false pregnancy they can begin to loose weight and develop other health problems, get gut stasis and bloat, the can develop mastitis (sp) amongst other things. Spayed is advised for other reasons it can provent, unterine cancer, hormone problems, phantom and false pregnancy, myometra/pyometra in the uterus.

hope that helps xxx

Sorry Phill, I read that as if that's what happens after the injection - hence my concern and previous questions over problems if you do have the injection and problems if you don't.

Out of interest (and sorry if this sounds outrageous only i have very little understanding or experience in bunny reproduction) would it help if i mated her?

Squiffy said:
Phill said:
Phill said:

hope that helps xxx

Sorry Phill, I read that as if that's what happens after the injection - hence my concern and previous questions over problems if you do have the injection and problems if you don't.

Out of interest (and sorry if this sounds outrageous only i have very little understanding or experience in bunny reproduction) would it help if i mated her?

there is apsolutly no help in mating her, a: she won't be ovulating whilst in a false pregnancy as she already thinks shes pregnant b: the world doesn't need anymore buns. the injection will stop the false pregnancy and get rid of any possible problems caused by the false pregnancy, it is advisable after she has has the injection to have her spayed about 7-14days after to prevent it happening again and the other problems i mentioned.

I hope that was a bit clearer xxx

Yes much clearer thank you Phill. :thumb:

I'm seeing the vet on Monday anyway, so will take her along re hormone injection. I'm still nervous about the thought of spaying her since she's already 6yrs old and the vet already advised against it. I would love for her to live out the longest life possible, but am still very nervous about the anaesthetic :-(

Cheers x

PS: i know there are already too many bunnies in this world and i have myself rescued / adopted quite a few to date, but Munchkin is very dear to me and i've always secretly wanted some mini munchkins for the future, hence my question :wink:

I would get your vet to give her the injection and see how she goes at 6yrs old, if she goes into another false pregnancy then she will need to be spayed, like i said earlier i have one bun molly who had this and wasn't spayed due to her age and she's been fine xx

Back