• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lily isn't eating after spay. U/D eating :) All ok!

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
She had her spay on Friday, came home yesterday and they said she was eating. I noticed she hadn't eaten this morning and gave her cabbage which she refused. Have come home from work and given her 2 syringe feeds of science recovery. The first was a small feed and the second was refused totally by her. I am beside myself with worry about her now. I have inflicted the spay on her and now she isn't eating and might go into GI Stasis. I knew this was a bad idea. Is this normal? Has anyone else had this problem?

so i guess limited food for 24 hours - take her to the vets pronto, she may need some more pain killer, hugs but she needs to see them soon, my smokie went through that too

Oh no... :( I do think she needs to see the vet tonight, to be honest.

She's probably in pain - has she had pain relief?? Hope all goes well x

Just seen this thread. I agree..take her to the vet tonight as she won't eat if she's in pain. Fingers crossed that you can get this sorted soon. Thinking of you

Pippa took a couple of days before she was eating properly but did manage to eat grated carrot the day after her spay. Looking back I wish I'd taken her back for more painkiller, so I'd do that if you are worried about her

Thankyou for your replies folks. I have phoned them and they weren't prepared to offer much information over the phone. It wasn't my vet but the one they use for emergency on a bank holiday. They said if I take her in it will be £129 just for a consultation!!! :shock: I just don't have that kind of money am so broke at mo with house move going through and all fees. I don't know what to do, am beside myself. I have been down again and maybe got a couple of mouthfuls down her of Science Recovery again. My vet resumes service tomorrow at 10. Gonna have to wait and ring then. I am so stressed and feel so guilty. They didn't send her home with pain killers saying that she didn't need them. Got to get through tonight.

Poor you :(

Both of my first buns went off their food after their spay, i took them to the vet and they just gave me the recovery formula to feed and they were both fine.

Hope your bun feels better soon xxx

I wish I was near you, as I have Metacam here. :( I don't understand this attitude that bunnies don't need pain relief after a spay - they wouldn't be like that if a woman had a hysterectomy.

Have you seen any poos?

It took about 3 days! I was really panicking too.
I went out and bought them carrots with the tops on and they gradually got back into eating again.

I have hunted high and low for some metacam here. :cry: She did lots of poos and wees yesterday and over night. there has been a couple this evening.

Do you have any dandelion leaves? Often tempts bunnies that wouldn't eat anything else. I agree about carrot tops too! :)

Wish I hadn't done the weeding. And next doors have just mowed all their dandelion leaves. she has got grated carrot and cabbage but wants neither. Thank god she has at least had maybe 2 large syringes of science recovery this evening in total.

Good luck. I'm sure everything will be ok. They always like to make its out of hours for the vet dont they! My horse usually waits for a Sunday to be poorly!!

Thanks bun buns. Thanks Lou... I am never doing this again. Should have not neutured her. I just had a bad feeling. Got my alarm set for night feeds. She is getting very hacked off with me feeding her.

Right I am gonna get some sleep in preparation for night feeds. Thankyou do much for all your advice. Will keep you posted. Night night bunny friends xxx

Back