• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

SPAYING - HELP!

karen&poppy

Warren Scout
I have just taken Poppy to have her teeth looked at as her incisors were getting a little long and the vets persuaded me to have her molars done next week and spay her at the same time! Has anybody else's rabbit had this double-whammy at the same time?! I'm so worried! The vet was reccommended by Jayney and seemed very rabbit-savvy, but i'm worried about my little Poppy!
Karen

My Humphrey went to have his neuter on Monday, but Vet couldn't do it as his plums weren't down enough, but he did find a little spur just beginning, so he did this and a tear duct flush.

I know its better that she'l only experience 1 GA but i'm just scared cos she'l be under longer? She wasn't happy having her teeth looked at today, she's not my friend now - keeps turning her back on me lol

Yep, vets quite often combine up, my cats had a couple of teeth cleaned while she had her thyroid out :)

Routine ops are actually surprisingly quick and they vet will monitor her breathing/heart so if there are any problems they can wake her up instead of doing the second part :)

Tam

thanks for all your kind advice! am stil so scared for her! but the vet said she's more than healthy enough and active and that more things go wrong under GA in nervous pets who aren't handled cos they panic, she's always handled loads and loves attention. one more question: i know to feed her before the op but should i just stick to pellets or some greens too or does it not make any difference?

Just feed her as normal and like others have said whilst she's getting spayed is the best time to look at their teeth as they only have the one GA. One of my buns has his neuter, teeth and claws all done at once and he was fine.

Yep, just feed her as normal. You might like to pack up a little of her pellets and favourite food to take with her. That way she'll be more likely to eat quickly after her op :)

Tam

Yeah I agree get it all over with in one go - less stressful for her and less worry for you in the long term! When Amy was spayed, she was originally going under for an X-Ray as she had blood in her urine but I said that if they could to spay her whilst she was under - they did and it turned out that her uterus had little blood clots in, so source of blood found. I did worry but knew that I'd rather she only went under GA once!

Good luck, she will be fine + back to her usual self in no time!

Nicola

I want to be sure i get this right! Poppy is goin in for her molars and spay on thursday. I take her in the morning and collect her in the evening. The vet recommended that i keep her warm so have decided that i am going to keep her in my kitchen that evening. Here is what i plan to do:
bring her metal puppy-run indoors onto the lino floor (disinfect it first)
put her carry case (with her inside it from the vets) straight into the run obv with the front off (it is lined with a fluffy towel)
put down some towels in the run for her to lie down on (dont want to use anythin that will agrovate her wound)
put her litter tray with her wooden litter pellets in (is this ok?)
give her unlimited pellets greens and hay to make sure she eats (and obv water)
is this going to be ok? I'm so scared!
Any advice would be much appreciated

evrything sounds fine that you have planned there

maybe get some nice fresh herbs to try and encourage her to eat afterwards aswell

im sure she will be fine

i'm sure she'll be fine too but i'm just so worried! its kirstine thats doing it i think jayney, she seems to be good?! just want everything to be perfect!

I always find, every single time that I have a spey done and it's quite a lot because I am a foster mum for a rescue, that the one thing that gets them eating first is dandelion leaves, pick some fresh wash them in cold water and give them to her.

If when you are picking them you pull out the whole root with it they will stay fresh for quite a time.

Good luck and I am sure she will be fine, don't know about you though!! :lol: :lol:

haha i'm so pathetic but i'm just so worried, never had a rabbit that went under GA before thats all! but i am thinking positive! thanks for all your advice

You're not pathetic at all. We are all the same when it comes our bunsters' health :lol: I felt physically sick for the entire day before, and day of, Furby's spay. My common sense told me that she'd probably be fine etc, but that didn't help one bit!!! She was fine. by the way and I'm sure it'llbe the same for you.
Hilda

well the day has come and i'm taking her in about half an hour, i'm such a wimp! my friend is taking me to the seaside for the day to take my mind off things! please everyone think happy thoughts for poppy! xx

SPAYING - HELP! UPDATE!

Hi, i thought you'd all like to know that Poppy made it through the op fine. She had her molar's filed and a spay. She seems fine, i've brought her home this evening and she is in her run in our conservatory (she's usually an outside bunny) but the conservatory is at room temperature (and i'm moving her to the kitchen as soon as its light cos it gets hot in there. I've literally left her to it for a few hours but she hasn't been out of her carry-case which is lined with a towel and has her teddy in it. There is some food in front of her and a whole parsley plant (her fave) but she hasn't really touched it. I've just brought the water bottle to her and she took some so she was obv thirsty. I have some questions:

Will she be in a lot of pain in her mouth? Cos she seemed to be drinking funny and her mouth was making funny noises when she was drinking as if it was taking her a minute to swallow it

Also, i dont want to move her out of the case just yet but i'm not sure if she's poo'd or wee'd, i'm worried about this.

She doesn't appear to have eaten but may do so when we all go to bed etc

Also, she has sleep in her eye. I've left it because i don't want to bother her (will give her a good wipe in the mornin) but could that have been caused by anything to do with the anaesthetic or anything? Or is it just that she's been drowsy etc?

I'm such a worrier, have just never gone through this before so sorry for all the Q's!

Karen xx

I'm glad she's home safe and sound with you. She probably won,t move around very much for about 24 hours, so she'll be perfectly happy in her carrying case. I found that Furby, who'd always used a water bottle before, seemed to find it easier to drink out of a bowl, so you could try her with that.

Back