• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just seen a frenchie in the most awful state- UPDATE PIC!

montyflossy

Alpha Buck
Hi,

I am now in a difficult situation. I visited a family members house this evening. they have a very large garden etc with a stable which they have 3 bunnies in. Cut a long story short... bunnies bought for teenage daughter...she got bored...bunnies stay in seperate areas of stable (2 boys and 1 girl all unneutered)

Anyway today I visited and only the 2 boys in the stable. One who is adorable has lost weight and his nails were so long they curled up to the side. I asked about 3rd bunny (a 4-5 year old french lop female) they said they ut her in the pen with the chickens and turkeys as she was too big for her enclosue oh and she had got funny eyes. They showed me her (she was hard to catch as v frightened) and to be honest i have never seen a bunny in such a state. Her eyes were oozing and gunky and looked a little caved in. she looked like she had myxi but they said she had been like it for a week(!) and no others are showing signs. Any ideas? Could it be myxi or something else?

Pleas help with what to do, to be honest she really looked she needed for her misery to come to an end. Please also understand its difficult for me as they are family.
ps they have offered any of the bunnies to me but at the moment i just have no room as im fostering 2 and have 6 of my own.

Any advice appreciated. Many thanks in advance x

They need to get the poor thing to a vet asap!!! It would be breaking the law not to!
I understand it must be really difficult for you, what a horrible situation to be in :(

Re: Just seen a frenchie in the most awful state..please hel

montyflossy said:
Her eyes were oozing and gunky and looked a little caved in. she looked like she had myxi but they said she had been like it for a week(!) and no others are showing signs. Any ideas? Could it be myxi or something else?

Pleas help with what to do, to be honest she really looked she needed for her misery to come to an end. Please also understand its difficult for me as they are family.
ps they have offered any of the bunnies to me but at the moment i just have no room as im fostering 2 and have 6 of my own

:wave:

I don't think without seeing the bun any of us could say whether it was mxyi, I hope to god its not though.

Please be ever so careful after handling her then coming home to your own buns...I'm sure you are though :wink: I wouldn't want you to pass anything on by accident

I completely understand about it being family so you don't want to upset them etc, so my advice is.....

I know you've said you haven't got any space and it's good that you know your limits :wink: Me being me would be squeezing them in somewhere :roll: :oops:

But are you able to go round and clip the male buns claws so he's more comfortable? And get the female to a vet, it may be that she has to be helped to the bridge, there may be nothing that can be done for her.

Or are you able to have her treated but kept at the vets and found a place in rescue?

Whilst I understand it is difficult because this bunny is owned by a family member, you have to do something to help this french lop immediately. If there is any chance she has myxi, a rescue will not step forward and offer some help for obvious reasons. She will need to see a vet now, and can you not offer your family that you will take her to a vet to get her eyes checked and to at least exclude myxi? She sounds as if she is suffering and she cannot help herself. If it turns out not to be myxi, then I am sure that help can be found on here to remove the bunnies if you do not have the space. But please do something tomorrow to help this poor bunny as only you can.

Thank you all for your prompt response. I will get onto it today and see what I can do, I couldnt sleep at all last night worrying about them all. Now I have seen this it is my responsibility to do something.

Could the birds not have harmed her eyes? My giant has an awful eye at the mo as she scratched the lens and it has ulcerated, she looks awful! She looks like she's gone three rounds with Tyson. She's also gunky and pathetic looking. Not that I'm saying the bun is ok, just that it may be an injury that hasn't healed. She definately shouldn't be in with the birds.
Could you not get them to hand the rabbits over to a rescue? They sound like they don't care anymore and at least they'd be guarenteed the right care

Where are you? Perhaps some rescues or fosterers(is that a word?? doesn't look right..damn those senior moments!) could help out.

Aw thats awful. I hope you find a solution here. I have to say when it comes to animal welfare, im the first to shop my family in. I dont care. It angers me so much. If you can care for your kids why not your pets!!

Someone i know rescued a bun who had been left in a tiny hutch in the bottom of a garden. She took him at nighttime and felt so awful, thinking, what am i doing this is someones pet. But when she saw its claws had grown and curled round the side she knew she was doing the right thing. She wrote them a letter explaining the bun had been rescued and was safe and well.

PLEASE help the poor bunns :cry: :cry: :cry:

Where are you? Maybe someone who lives near can help with getting them to a rescue/foster them?

frenchie in awful state

ive offered to help monty flossy with these buns the priority at the moment is the frenchie but hopefully she can rescue all of them she is still trying to get hold of the family member who owns the rabbits so will keep you posted

I have to say I wouldnt think twice about reporting my own family, people who dont look after their animals need telling, family or not, and the animals need sorting out asap. Those poor rabbits have no-one else to speak out for them so I truly believe you have to do something, at the very least get the poorly one to the vet. Surely they must know she is ill????? Theres no excuse for neglect and I really hope you are able to do something for them. :cry:

UPDATE

After spending all day trying to get hold of them and then trying to find transport I finally picked up the french lop tonight.
I consulted my vet about what to look for, she does not have swollen genetalia or eye lids but her eyes are horrendous. They are pussy and red raw the poor girl must be in pain.
I took her to my mums house (no bunnies in the area) and set up a cosy camp for her.
She drunk a whole bowl of water (I am not exaggerating) is this a sign of myxi, something else, or just neglect? also her drinking was noisy like there was something in her mouth (teeth prob?!) but she is not underweight.
My vet is going out to her tomorrow, I have asked that if she needs to pass to please make it dignified rather than the further suffering she would have endured.
My mum and I have named her Molly, we hought she deserved a name even if for a short time.
Many thanks to Bunny Run and everyone who has helped me with this difficult and sad situation. I will be taking the 2 boys when we establish if there is a poss myxi problem or not.
x

Well done on rescuing her. I really hope she'll be ok. Let us know how she gets on with the vets. Lots of get better soon vibes coming Molly's way x

Excellent news that she is in your care now. Well done in getting her out of that awful situation. Sending healing vibes to Molly and hoping the other two are ok xxx

Good luck little Molly :love:

Well done MontyFlossy for getting her out of there and well done BunnyRun for offering your help :D

Fingers crossed Molly will be alright :D

Back