• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those with double hutches...

bizzy_vicki

Mama Doe
Or 2 levels to be more specific, how do you have them set out? Food on top or bottom/water top or bottom/hay top or bottom/does it really matter top or bottom :lol:

Squidgy has a litter tray + food bowl in the bedroom area upstairs, vet bed, his treat bunny and a water bottle. Downstairs, he has another litter tray + food bowl, a water bowl, treat ball and willow bed type thing. He has no incisors, so his hay is chopped up and put into the food bowl.

I put some hay on the top level beside their litter trays and in the pet carrier where they sometimes sleep(I removed the sleeping compartment partition and it not only makes the area seem much bigger but it's also easier to clean! :wink: ) and have a hayball downstairs. When they come bck to the hutch/run at night I scatter some green veg around on the run area. I scatter their morning pellets on the lower run in the morning. I used to have water bottles on both levels but while they were living indoors they seemed to prefer to use a bowl so I now have a big bowl of water downstairs. I'm not sure that putting it upstairs would be a good idea as the upper floor has vet bed and sod's law would mean that the water would be spilt!!! I have put the bottle back upstairs but they prefer to go down and use the bowl.

It doesn't matter! Only if you put their food bowl upstairs, might be worth making sure it is an unbreakable one :shock:

I have newspaper, straw and shredded paper with a hay rack upstairs, then just newspaper and their litter tray downstairs, with another hayrack.

I find this works well as mine is a hutch/run combo, and when I had straw downstairs I used to find most of it ended up in the run :roll:

Although I still get a bit of straw falling down the ladder now, it's definitely a lot better than what it was!

Also, I think the top is a bit less draughty on colder nights when their ladder to the run is open.

Litter tray, food bowl and plenty of hay downstairs

Water bottle on the wire upstairs

Loads of hay in the bedroom area upstairs

upstairs
They have litter tray filled with hay, food bowl, carboard box with bedding, water bottle.

downstairs
and spare cardboard box with bedding (in case Gaius gets sent to 'sleep on the couch'!), water bottle and access to rest of their hutches/run.

I have all hutch covered in hay.... more in the bedroom compartments though.... water bowl veg bowl and pellets all upstairs and Isaac has his puppy teether and blankie upstairs... Although sometimes he does take it downstairs if he decides to sleep there :roll: :lol:
Then downstairs is just hay.... and opens up to their attached run in which they have vet bed a few toys .. a litter tray and a hay tray. but they are in their hutch at night cos of a humoungous fox problem :evil:

Hay rack, water bottle and veg bowl; upstairs and then pellets and litter down. It makes the lazy ones run about :wink:

With the pairs and singles I have the food bowl and water upstairs, feed them their dried grass, additional hay and veg downstairs, with the groups I just have the water upstairs, there is more space for them all to get round the bowls downstairs.

Back