• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering

becca114

Young Bun
Hello
My bunny currently lives indoors but Id like her to live outside. I don't want her to live outside on her own but she needs to be spayed before we can find a friend for her.
I was wondering if she was to live with a male rabbit, they would both need to be neutered/spayed or is it ok for just one of them to be done?

Also how much approximately does it cost to have a bunny 'done'?
Rebecca

Hi
when i got my girlie bun spayed it cost around £60 it does vary though throughout the country so might be worth asking around.. it is worth paying more if it is a vet you know is very good with rabbits though in my opinion.
I think you would find that if you got your girl spayed and paired her with an un-neutered male he would probably constantly try to mount her and could end up with a falling out. If you got the boy neutered and not the girl then she is still at risk of uterine cancer or hormonal behaviours, and you would have to wait about 6 weeks post neuter to try to bond them due to the fact the boy could still father babies til after that time :wink: Id say your best bet would be to get your girl spayed, let her recover, then get a boy from a rescue that is already neutered and bond them in the outdoor home :wink: as it would then be neutral territory

My males are neutered, my females not. But one of the girls is often in false pregnancy, therefore I will talk to the vet tomorrow about spaying her.
Males have to be neutered to live together with other rabbits. Females can be neutered to avoid the risk of uterine cancer or to calm down hormonal behaviours.

males are loads cheaper to neuter, in my area around 30 pound, for females it is sixty... it is worthwhile doing though, prevents health problems and they will get on loads better.

joanne x

What Diddeen said sums it up really well. Where abouts in the country are you cos prices vary a lot! My vets charge £30 either sex including aftercare.

Back