• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gooey Bum

SAR

Young Bun
Hi

I have two bunnie, Honey and Molly and I have had them for 2 years from babies and they are lovely! They all are aren't they?

But poor Molly has always had a bad gooey bum - every month I have to have her bum shaved as she gets in a real mess. I was told to cut down on their veg which they hardley have any now and there is always Timothy Hay for them to eat but only Honey seems to eat it lots. They are on Excel Junior/Dwarf pellets - any suggestions on what else I could do as I worry when the summer comes.

Honey is fine but Molly is so mucky - is there better pellets for them to eat?

Any help would be very grateful

Sarah x

my Gus was exactly the same

i changed all my bunnies over to Science Selective and since then i've gone from having to clean his stinky bum every day to maybe a little do once every 8 weeks

i would highly recommend science selective.

How much pellet feed are you giving? Too much of those is more likely to cause a mucky Bum rather than Veggies.
Has the Vet checked your Buns teeth? Rabbits with molar spurs (sharp spikes on their back teeth) often get a mucky Bum as they tend not to eat enough hay and also find cleaning themselves difficult.

Hay/Grass should form the main part of an adult Rabbits diet. A variety of Veg can also be given (with the sugary ones only fed sparingly)Pellets are only needed in very small amounts. As an example one of my adult Buns, who weighs about 3kg gets no more than a tablespoonful of pellets a day. They have unlimitted hay and a portion of Veg twice a day. I do not feed them any fruit or any of the Rabbit Treats sold in Pet Shops

Janex :)

Hello,

have the droppings of your bun ever have been examinded on worms or coccidias (more about coccidias klick here)?

A lot of goey bums are caused by these single-celled parasites living in the intestinal tract of rabbits. They cann't be killed by a "nomal"anthelminthic like Panacur but by special medicaments against coccidias. In Germany these medicaments are: Appertex, Baycox or Retardon - you have to find out what such medicaments in England are.

Greetings. Kristina

How about trying the PF4P pellets from Bunnybasics website as these are 27% fibre and Science Selective is 19%. I have some of this on order and am hopefully going to change my three rabbits onto it. My oldest rabbit has had tummy problems ever since we got him 6.5 years ago, changing him onto Science Selective has definitely helped, but I am hoping the even higher fibre pellets will improve him some more.

Back