• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit insurance

charl343

Warren Scout
Hi, just wondering if anyone has rabbit insurance and would reccomend it? In one week I have spent £90 (£40 was on a bunny I had had 2 days and it died 2hours after taking it the vets and £50 on getting tear ducts flushed on my new bunny which I had rehomed and had to take him the vet the next day and I still have to get him neutered and vaccinated and take him back the vets tomorrow which will cost me more. please do not get my wrong by the way, I would spend every last penny if I needed something for my bunny) My point is I want to eventually get Paddy a play friend when all is neutered and healthy however I could not pay double what I have paid on only having one bunny in 1 week. I have looked at a few insurances but they seem to have a highish excess and dont cover a lot of things. Would it be simpler to put money aside in a savings account every month??

Thanks
paddy3.jpg
paddy1.jpg

Hi! I've looked at rabbit insurance as well, as I have three bunnies now. When you think that it doesn't cover dental work and that the excess I was quoted was £60, I didn't think it would be worthwhile, as I would have to pay three lots of premiums to cover my three rabbits. What I do now (after my £250 bill!) is put some money away each month for vet's bills. Claire x

I have insurance for Princess with Petplan and am going to get Amy insured too. I've been glad I had it as I had a vets bill of £130 last September and although the excess is £60 I still got the rest back!! My previous rabbit cost me a fortune in the last few months of her life, repeated vet visits and X-Rays and blood tests - although I don't begrudge the money at all as I loved her to bits, it's a good peace of mind knowing that if anything major happened with Princess, I have the cover.

I think it depends upon how much spare money you have and if you could afford expensive vet bills. Personally I'm glad I have insurance but I know a lot of ppl are happy without it.

Nicola

I have insurance with Pinnacle. I know how terrible I am at saving, and with two buns, if, heaven forbid they needed an emergency operation I would hate to have to think for one moment that I wouldn't be able to pay.

It might seem like a good idea to start a saving fund, but what if something happened before you had saved enough? I like to err on the side of caution :)

Amanda x

got insurance with pet protect for my 4 youngest - never claimed for zeb and frida but its paid out for lola's eye drops without any quibble (she needs them every other day)

and in the 3 1/2 years gus has been insured i've claimed £900 for a retrobulbar abscess (so glad i had insurance then), several claims for mites (admittedly the treatment was around £75 so once i'd paid the excess i couldnt claim much), and stitching when Lola bit his poor bum

my excess is £55 and i pay around £6 per month - worth every last penny in my opinion. i could probably just afford to pay littlish bills for them such as the mites Gus gets regularly but without insurance i would have been really struggling with the big claim :(

I know the feeling they want £550 off me to save Deliliah and she still bloomin died :x

I would recommend insurance. Benny's treatment cost over £2000 over 3 years, thankfully we were insured with Petplan.

ok soo those who do have pet insurance ...does anyone have petplan, do they reccomend it?? (I have a free 30 day trial leaflet....where i got it from I have no idea!!)

paddy3.jpg
paddy1.jpg

I was already to insure my two with PetPlan but they wouldn't have covered any treatment for GI Stasis because they had already had treatment for it. Seeing as it seems to be a regular problem with my two, I decided to just keep putting money aside. I think I was quoted £8 for each bun.

I wish I'd had it - I estimate I spent at least £300 when Harly had myxi, and that's at least, it probably was a good bit more. Petplan had quoted me £18 a month for both buns but I thought I'd be better of without it as the excess was quite high, but I do intend to set up a policy now.

Just done a quick quote and it wored out at £8.50 with £50 excess per month for 10 monthes as they have a deal on that you get 2 free. Has anyone had cheaper quotes?? Also they ask about past vets trips, I have put Paddy had his tear ducts flushed, will this have any implications in the future??

Just like to add - if anyone does use pet plan they donate 10% of the premium to rescue if the centre number is quoted that is signed up with them. Only know this as my charity does it so if you don't know a charity that's with them and you are thinking of signing up, pm me! Lol :D
I think it's worth while, vet's bills can be extortionate. Although if you are diciplined enough to put something aside in a seperate account, that could also be beneficial - especially if nothing ever happens to your pet!

Petplan started off at £6 per month only rising to £7 the following years. They are really good actually and very quick at paying out too.

Just to clarify, as this gets said every time someone mentions insurance. Petplan will judge every case on its own merit. If a vet has recommended a dental, you are covered!!!

Thankyou,

Nicola

I am with Petplan. I have been with them since Jasper was 8wks old. She is now 6years old and the renewal has just come through at £108.

I have never claimed with them for Jasper but is seems that the premium just keeps going up and up.

Petplan quoted me £192.42 or 10 monthy instalments of £19.24 for my 2 buns. The excess is £60. To be honest I thought it was a bit high. Exotic Direct were about £13 odd for the 2 little monsters with a £45 excess, which is much better. So as long as their both covered for anything major, I'll have to manage with the little things that come up.

I'm going to insure my 4 this evening.. It's £26 per month for the 4.
Fudge hasn't had any dentals yet but the vet said its very likely he will need on going treatments through out his life..

Back