• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Insurance

Sleepy184

New Kit
Hi all,
I have a dutch bun and she is now 6 years old. She has been insured with Petplan since she was born. I have just had my renewal for this year and it is £108. I have never claimed on the policy for Jasper but the policy keeps going up and the increases are getting more.

My question is, are there any alternatives to Petplan. Most insurance places I have looked at will not insure a rabbit who is over 5.

Thanks

PetPlan Insurance

Hi

I have a six year old Nethie who I also insure with PetPlan at £8.50 per month via Direct Debit. I too have found that premiums increase after 5 years of age. Fortunately, I have had to only ever make one claim and I must admit the claim was settled immediately and very professionally by PetPlan. Have you tried searching the web especially money saving sites?

Good luck with your search... Do let us know if you find anything cheaper but just as comprehensive.

I guess they go up because of your rabbit getting older. Perhaps you could phone petplan and come to some sort of deal? They seemed very accomodating on the phone.

I found a pet insurance co. called exotic pets or something similar. Try checking them out?

I'm with Petplan and although their not the cheapest they are definately the best when you come to make a claim!

Just my thought

I'd like to know if there is any pet insurance that will insure for conditions that they have already had treatment for?

My lot have both had GI Stasis (several times). I don't see the point of getting insurance if it won't cover any potential GI Stasis bouts.

Really unlikely they'll insure an existing condition.
I found that once I had more than 1 bun I'm better off putting away the equivelant in premiums and saving it for vet bills

Yep! Us too.
I think pet insurance is a rip off though, especially as your anmals get older...it's got it's uses for emergencies, but often the excess you have to pay covers most vet visits! :cry:

Hi,

Generally, I think pet insurance is getting crazy price wise etc.

I have 3 dogs, a cat and 2 buns, Willow my 2 yr old bun has to have his molars done about every 8 weeks, costing £40 each time.

As they get older, normally more things can go wrong, excluding emergencies etc, so I think it can add up to a great deal over the years, and it is always the unknown question, will I ever use it....

We decided last year to start putting a reasonable amount aside monthly in a seperate savings account purely as a 'vets fund'. Willows dental comes out of this, and the rest is left to accumulate just in case. We also felt we were financially stable enough that if we got a huge unexpected bill, we'd be fine, so knowing that helped our decision re: not getting insurance.

I suppose it is always up to the individual and their circumstances, pet insurance is such a big thing now for insurance companies.

Liz, Willow and Gertie

i doubt that you will be a ble to get insurance for a bunny over 5 with a new company

we tried to insure bracken when we adopted her at 6 but pet protect & pet plan turned us down due to her age

i personally think that insurance has been an absolute godsend for us 0 although we might just be unlucky with our bunnies

we've had a £900 claim for retrobulbar abscess for gus, and this weekend £250 for frida for gi stasis, and i dont even want to think about how big the bill for zeb will be - thankfully in each case we've just paid £55 excess. for me having insurance means that i dont have to worry about seeing a vet at 1am or bringing my bunny back in every day for a checkup as i certainly wouldnt be able to save that kind of money for all 5 of my bunsters :D

For me insurance has been invaluable over the years, unless I am just totally unlucky with my pets.

I do agree though the premiums are getting higher, and if you have a lot of pets it probably is better to put the money away for vet bills.

I have my 2 buns insured with Petplan, and as it currently costs more to insure them than my 2 cats with M & S I almost cancelled it last summer, thank goodness I didnt, one of my bunnies got ill and the final bill was nearly £400!! and Petplan paid up quickly and were very good to deal with.

I also have a persian cat that is being seen at the Liverpool University Vet School as it has a few very unusual conditions, and so far since October the bill is just over £4,000.

I suppose its the classis case of you pay your money you take your chance, which is what insurance is all about really.

Carole

OK I'm now going to compare insurance prices for my buns - your horror stories have changed my mind!!! :roll:

Back