• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutches

kayjay

Warren Veteran
Following on from our mouse-infested shed we've decided to move Pippa and MJ and the guineapigs out into a hutch/run. I think we'll get the 6ft happy hutch one off ebay for the buns but I've got a few questions.

Does it need to be backed up against a wall or fence or would it be ok standing on a patio? If so, how would you waterproof the back/sides and top as I think it'll rot easily and it's not cheap in the first place. Is it sturdy enough to move once we've got the garden sorted out?

For the guineapigs - how do you attach a removable run to the front of a hutch? I've got the hutches but need to make runs to attach to them but can't figure out how to securely attach them but remove them to feed and clean them out.

Use these to secrure and you can unscrew them off, they're butterfly bolts :D

Butterfly_Nuts.jpg

you use them instead of a nut on a bolt, but instead of struggling with a wrench you can twist them off with your fingers.

But you can't do that everytime you want to feed the piggy surely :? I just can't figure out the logistics of attaching a run to the hutch and still being able to access it

SOAD said:
Ali said:
SOAD said:
Or we call them wing nuts :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumb: I typed butterfly clip in google and had to trawl through hudreds of hair clips before I found one :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kathryn I used to use one to hold the littler tray in place when Barney was indoors, as he used to chuck it about in the cage, I had a long bolt to go through the littler tray and drilled a hole in the side of the cage and used the wing nut to secure it, it dosent take long to unwind or wind up, I also used it in the hutch

SLEEPY.jpg

That's a gorgeous picture of Barney there Ali, what a cutey :love: but why on earth do they always sleep in their litter tray :roll: :lol:

kayjay said:
That's a gorgeous picture of Barney there Ali, what a cutey :love: but why on earth do they always sleep in their litter tray :roll: :lol:

Aw that was when I first got him, bless him, :love: he was Milly then, he had a sex change :lol: :lol: it would of been his birthday on wednesday :cry: and yes he always used to sleep in the litter tray :? :shock: :lol: :lol:

Lovely piccie Ali ! I use a gate hook and an eye on my one run to connect it to the hutch. I have 2 each side and they are a tight fit which is great. I read somewhere that a person had put ducksback water proofing stain on the happy hutch and that worked. Also tarapaulins etc. For my runs I use the clear corrugated plastic £4.80 a big sheet from B & Q. Hope this helps :D

Great. IT ban me from pics of bunnies, but I can see BUTTERFLY BOLTS???? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Angie65 said:
Great. IT ban me from pics of bunnies, but I can see BUTTERFLY BOLTS???? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Awwwwwwwww thats not nice of them :twisted: :twisted:

Someone told me on here about wing nuts and I just couldnt figure out the logisitcs of it cos I am stupid lol...
So what I did... to attach my run to hutch was to screw in on each side of the hutch and on the run.... eyes (as in hook and eyes) and instead of using hooks which I think foxes would easily undo :roll: I use link things which unscrew and go through the eyes... let me go take a picture in the dark and show you what I mean... will post again in a sec

Picture074.jpg

I dont know how you would attach a hutch to a wall though.... My hutch alone (empty) takes 3 grown men just to lift an inch off the floor... so mine isnt going anywhere fast.

I hope you can see what I mean from the picture... its ideal cos you just untwist it and I can then remove the run to get in to clean the hutch.

Back