• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vhd vac today Fudge is not eating U/D hes fine this morning

karen354

Warren Veteran
He had his vac this morning and a check after his operation on Monday...
He is now very quiet and doesn't want his tea :( he had a good breakfast this morning .. He is sitting on his shelf in his shed and does't want to come out and play with Furby :(
Does the vhd vac have any after affects?
We were out the house from 9.30 this morning and didn't get back to 1.30 the vet is quite away from us and then we nipped to see Capel which the buns played in her large run and he seemed fine there...
I hope its just the stress of the journey thats made him so quiet..

I've not really any advice but my vet did warn me that buns can get a bit "low" after a vhd jab. I hope he perks up soon x x x

Yes hes an outdoor bun.. He doesn't seem interested in food at all...
I'll go and get them and put them in the conservatory.. Do you think it could be the injection he had today Jane ?

karen354 said:
Yes hes an outdoor bun.. He doesn't seem interested in food at all...
I'll go and get them and put them in the conservatory.. Do you think it could be the injection he had today Jane ?

Sometimes Buns can seem a bit 'off colour' for 24-48 hours and occasionally may develop a front leg limp. This is thought to be caused by the oil based vaccine hiting a nerve on administration. I would try to make sure he is warm and has access to some tempting Veg. If you have any Chamomile Tea then syringing a few mls of it, luke warm, may be beneficial as long as it does not stress him out.
Is the wound from his op' looking OK?
I am wondering if vaccinating so soon after the op' may be a bit much for his immune system and so he is reacting more than would be expected :?

Janex

Yes everything was fine with his wound... I brought them both into the conservatory now and have left some of his favourites veg's for him..

Ah I do hope he feels much better soon. At work we usually wait 5 days after an op b4 giving a vaccine so that the immune system isn't overwhelmed! Perhaps it has all just been a bit much for him and he just needs a bit of rest to get his strength again!

Hope he is feeling better soon :)

Nicola

I htink that's best, if you're worried about him. I find the vets really don't mind you giving them a ring and asking for advice.
Really hope he feels better soon.

Phoned him he has said whats been said on here.. Its the injection he had today causing him to feel under the weather... He seems to think he'll be perkier tomorrow.... Hes just jumped into his litter tray almost had a binky the flopped onto his blankets .. I never seem his relaxed enough to flop but thats all hes doing tonight on his back with his legs in the air..
He seems better already since being inside..

:D :D It's all part of his cunning plan...... :lol: He and Furby have obviously been hatching a plot while out there in the bunny palace.....relocation, relocation, relocation!!!! :wink:

He just had a drink of water but hasn't eaten anything yet..
Furby doesn't know what to do with herself she wants to play and he wants to relax.. Fudge is sitting in his litter tray now and his bevoted wife is lying on the floor infront of him. .Shes such a lovely wife she keeps grooming him and making sure he's okay ..

karen354 said:
He seems better already since being inside..

I have seen some amazing turn-arounds when a poorly Bun is given additional warmth :) They so easily go into shock when feeling poorly, their BP drops into their ickle toes and they cant maintain their body temperature. Heat is a life saver at times :)

Janex

Back