• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My vet just called-mu bun China just died

carasblanco

Mama Doe
I am heartbroken and in shock.
Early this morning I woke up to my one year old bunny China gagging
and I found there was brownish runny fluid coming out of his mouth. He was breathing heavily & made coughing/gagging sounds. I gave him some
simethicone (infacol) hoping it would be just a temporary upset stomach,
then when no improvement, drove to the vet to wait for them to open.
The vet said his stomach was twisted, his spleen was very large, and his
prognosis was very poor then put him on steroids, fluids, pain killers and
antibotics. My first bunny Blanco suddenly died at 6 years old, and I
wanted to figure out how to keep my new Buns healthy and thought I had
gained so much knowledge by studying rabbit care, especially from RU,
but again an overwhelmingly heart wrenching death without much of an
explanation as to what happened. The vet said it is due to a bad diet, but
I feed high fiber pellets, dark greens, hay, and very little veg or fruit, isn't
that right???I just feel so overwhelmed and helpless as to how to keep the
others safe. Does anyone know what happened or what I am doing
wrong??

aww i'm so sorry this happened! It sounds like you're doing everything right, maybe it was just his time to go.

I'm sure you're a wonderful bunny owner and I hope all your others stay healthy!
x

so sorry to hear your loss, i am not sure why this happened, it sounds like you have been taking great care of them, i am sure that someone on here will be along soon with more knowledge than me :( :( :(

So very sorry for your loss. I can't see how the vet said it was a bad diet if you feed what you put. Hay and grass are the most important components along with a little pelleted food + some veggies - everything you said you feed! It was prob just one of those things - very horrid I know but it doesn't sound to me as if you have done anything wrong.

Nicola

So so sorry. Like everyone else has already said, it sounds like you were feeding a great diet.

i wish i could help in someway to help you understand what was wrong.i agree with everybody that you sound like a wonderful bunny mummy.we all look for reasons to blame ourselves,i think that is a natural grieving process,but i think your vet was wrong to say this to you as it is clear from what you say that you take great care of your buns.my thoughts are with you.xx

I`m so sorry you`ve lost China. :cry: :cry:
And i agree with what others have said, it really doesn`t sound like it was your fault. Sadly, it might just have been China`s time to go.

Hugs to you,
Su.x

I'm so sorry you lost China, Binky free little bun. Like everyone else has said the diet you were feeding sounds right so please don't blame yourself.x

So sorry to hear this. :( As everyone else has said, it sounds as though you did everything right so can't understand why your vet would say it was bad diet :? He probably just didn't have an explanation as to what happened but even so it was wrong of him to say that. Try not to blame yourself - you're a very good bunny owner and it's not your fault this happened. Sending hugs to you. Vicki x

Back