• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UNBELIEVABLE

capel

Warren Veteran
I just picked this up from another Forum......
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Today we took snowy to the vets inside pets at home [in charlton]
The vet said she is SKINNY! I thought she was Fat , the vet said she was healthy but shes underweight , she said her front teeth are healthy but teeth need grinding down or are a it sharp.
i was worried that she would fall off the vets table or kik when the vet picked her up But she didnt! snowy is not used to being handled , she was very gentle & friendly with the vet so i might start picking her up she said i need to switch to pellets because of her teeth, And she said i should get Excel Hay IT WAS £4.99 - £5.00 and it was only a small packet! i could of get 3 to 4 big bags of hay for the price! but then again the excel one had plants and grass & other things that rabbits can eat. The vet said unless we're getting a male in the future we wouldnt need to get her spayed if we didnt get a male rabbit she would be fine ,she said we should bring her back in 4 weeks to check her teeth.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Have advised her to find another vet asap. She was actually going there to have her spayed
:shock: [/b]

Have you sent that person the link to RU? Sounds like she might need some advice - what is that Vet about, even my vet said to spay to prevent cancer and then bond with a guineapig :roll:

Unfortunately the poster is just an 11 year old child. Here's my reply:

If she's got a problem you need to be encouraging her to eat more hay, not more pellets. If she's getting a problem with tooth spurs then she needs to be eating hay as the grinding action is what she need to be doing. The chewing action they use to eat pellets is not the grinding action which is needed to keep their teeth in good condition. He may well have meant you to up the pellets to help her gain some weight if she is underweight. What weight is she? I think you really need to ask your parents if they can help you find a vet who is used to dealing with rabbits in your area. The Rabbit Welfare Association has a list of very experienced rabbit vets throughout the UK. The vet is talking nonsense when he said there's no need to have her spayed. 80% of unspayed does die of uterine cancer by the age of 5 and there is no way you can keep to unspayed does together!! Find another vet asap. The hay you have been giving her is proably fine..of course he wants you to buy the stuff they sell..he's employed by the shop!!! I sometimes buy it too, but then I add in into my ordinary hay!! May I have permission to print off what the vet told you as I really think this ought to be taken up with Pets at Home..the advice you have been given is not right. Talk to your parents about what I've written first.

I think that's good advice, the parents need to be aware that the informartion being told their daughter is not right so they can help her find a good vet.

Back