• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

somethings wrong please help urgent!!! :(

mumofthumps

Alpha Buck
I think something is wrong with thumper please help!!!!:(

Thumper is an indoor bunny he use to live in an outdoor hutch indoors on the kitchen table but we moved him to an indoor hutch next to our sofa in the living room. He use to always go hyper and be running around but the past 2 days he seems to be a bit depressed. I have been at home for the past week so he has been running around all the time rather than being in his hutch and then just running around at night. He use to really throw a tantrum when he had to go back into his hutch- biteing the cage etc. But now he is just sitting in his hutch - withthe door open and he looks so depressed :( Im really worried about him. He hasnt been neautered yet but im so worried any advice? :(

he is eating still not as much as usually, his poos wree very tiny this morning and a little- well wet? but they have beenfine since, he has had a vitamin supplement yesterday could this be it? :(

Sounds like he needs a trip to the vets. If his stomach is not working properly then it needs to be sorted out.

he has gone hyper again now - his normal bunny self?! I am goign to the vets this weekend anyway so hopefully they can check him over then as well!!! Thank u for all your help - he is my little bundle of happiness dont know what id do without him :)

If his diet is normal, i.e., normal amt. of pellet and water, then don' worry about it. If the pellet or water level drop for just 1 day and the next few days all back to normal, again don't worry about it.

I'd take him to the vets over the weekend just to be sure. If a bunny's digestive system goes funny then time is very much of the essence, and usually the first sign of that is sitting very still, going off their food, and funny looking poops.

AMETHYST

NEVER presume things are ok cos theyre rushing around playing..especially if the poos are still small..its the gut stasis probs that mask the real illnes and by the time they show signs of illnes..its usualy too late..
as everyone here has said take bun to the vets and you aid yourself youre going to..i am so glad you are..
f id listend to my own advice..oscar might still be here now. :(

Sadly buns aren't like other animals and if they have even a slightly upset tummy they need looking at a.s.a.p. Good luck at the vet!

Just noticed where you are!! I can highly reccomend WellPets vets in Rushden. Their number is 01933 314199. If you ask for an appointment with Anja, (An-ya), she will give your bunny a thorough check for you. She is very good with rabbits, and never thinks a trip there is wasted or un-necessary. She's also very good at giving discounts for things too!!!

They also have a very good reputation when it comes to General Anaesthetic and aftercare too, (they always offer a free follow up appointment 2-3 days following any kind of surgery/treatment), so I would reccomend them for neutering too.

If you want any more info about them, you can always PM me

:D

I agree with the point which was made earlier about not being fooled by the bun's ability to move around. Karen's poor Molly lulled me into a false sense of security by scampering back to her favourite spot after Karen had syringe fed her. You really wouldn't have known how seriously ill she was. Please don't take any chances..even a few hours can mean the difference between life and death to a bun harbouring some gut problem. Hope things are fine now though.

UPDATE

Thumper is fine I just wanted to say thank you to everybody for your help!!! I went to my usual vets but I think I may go to that one u sugested as its a lot nearer!!! :) So thank you again!! :)xx

Back