• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fudge is being neauted WednesdayU/D hes eating & pooing

karen354

Warren Veteran
Hi all, I'm having Fudge neauted on Wednesday..
As most of you know I had my darling Molly spayed 9th Jan & she past away 8 days later :(
My husband phoned up the vets this morning & booked Fudge in as we feel he's getting depressed... He has a great set up poppy house & enclosure... I was hoping to wait a few months & then maybe have Hilda's Furby if her son can't keep her. I don't think I cant wait that long though I really do feel he needs a girlfriend.
Fudge hates coming into the house :( is there anyway I could put him back into his poppy house when he comes home ?
I could have him in the Conservatory but he really isn't happy with coming in...
Fudge was my foster bun collected from Elaines rescue Manchester on New Years Eve, he has never been handled before coming here & still isn't into being stroked...Anyway around bringing him in ?

Fudge is a lovely boy he's medium build, not aggresive at all big softie really between 2 -3 years old... I would like a spayed female ( i couldn't go through getting another female spayed after what happened to Molly)
I won't be replacing Molly ( that would never be possible) Molly was to bond with bertie my house bun.. How soon could I get him a girlfriend after his operation ?

There is a rescue very close to me but the don't spay or neauter so I'd be willing to travel within 2 hours of Wrexham...

Hilda I've pm'd you hope you understand...

I'm sure Fudge will be ok. Boys seem to recover much quicker than girls as their op isn't as serious.
Do you have a snugglesafe heatpad? You could put one of those into his outdoor house so he can go back in there and be warm. I don't know what kind of bedding he has but you could put a cardboard box in it with a warm towel inside to for him to lie in.
It is best to wait 6 weeks after the op to let his hormones die down as if you introduce him to a female before that he will still be quite frisky and they may start fighting if she doesn't like getting humped! :lol:

Of course I understand, Karen!! Not a problem. BTW don't buy a heatpad, You can borrow mine!! Fudge will be even nicer when he's been neutered.

Thanks Hilda, Hope Fudge will be okay outside after his op :( I do know that it will really freak him out if I bring him inside....

Oh no Fudge won't have to wait 6 weeks will he ? I've told him maybe within 3 weeks he'll have a lady bun :( he's going to be very cross now :cry:

I've just phoned the vets & asked them to check those teeth of his aswell.
When he went for his MOT last week he was in such state she couldn't get a good view of his teeth... At least they'll be able to have a good look when hes knocked out ..

Another question which I have asked on the 1st thread, will he be okay in his poppy house after the operation ? I will clear out everything & just leave blankets & I'm borrowing Hilda's heat pad for him ..
I would have him indoors but he really hates being inside..
Any advice please ?
Karen x
Pm'd you Hilda ( 10am at the vets is that okay ?)

karen

he will be absolutley fine in the poppy house just give him extra bedding and he will be right as reign

I use vet bed for my buns when they have been speyed/ neutered. You can use old clean towels too. Dont use hay and straw until he is healed, it gets caught in the wound.

Aww, bless Fudge he sounds lovely.

We all get worried when our bunnies go in for ops but a neuter for a boy is fairly 'routine' and he should bounce back quickly. Keep him warm as other people have said and keep an eye on his stitches in case he pulls them out! Make sure he eats and poops when he comes home as well.

Good luck Fudge!

Hi Karen. He'll be fine with the lovely Kevin! Or is Suzanne doing the snip? See you there tomorrow at 10. BTW will it be 1 or 2 vallium with the coffee??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 2 please.... I'm off to bed now see you 10am tomorrow... I think kevin is doing the op ...

hi karen

i ususally give mine hay as males are usually fine it is females I have the problem with, I also tend to put lots of shredded paper in

Thank you all :) Just got to get the children to school then the hard part getting Fudge into his carrier then I'll be off :(
I've fed him as normal, he seems to happy this poor bouncing round poor boy..

Good luck Karen and Fudge, I've got everything crossed for you both, I'm sure he'll be ok

Kathryn x

Just had a phone call from the vets as i was driving home :( Fudge has got problems with his teeth with him being under they managed to have a good look. He will need treatment for for his teeth, the vet said they are not really bad but I will be paying for treatment throughout his life...
The vet phoned because quite often the owners would choose to have the bun pts :cry: I couldn't do that I have to give Fudge a chance dont I ?

Hi Karen glad you found your way home! That's bad luck about his teeth, but what you half-expected. If they aren't too bad perhaps it will be manageable with the improved diet you've got him on. Floss and Bournville say "Hi!" She had jumped back into her favourite place on the settee whenI got back in!!

Back