• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training for those who WON'T!

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hello everyone,

We have Maddie living inside for a while following a nasty fight between my bonded pair whilst trying to get a bonded three. She seems to be settling in ok, we are getting loads of grooming off her but one thing we aren't enjoying is the little puddles and pebbles on the floors!!

She is in the kitchen, in an indoor cage, but she doesn't even use the litter tray in there, so as soon as she is given the run of the house, there ends up mess somewhere.

She was speyed 2 1/2 weeks ago and is about a year and a few months old - will her habits improve as her hormones settle and as she gets used to her surroundings? I've just bought a bigger litter tray to see if this helps. Should i provide her with more trays? She seems to just go "wherever" she wants though?

Any help or tips greatly appreciated!!

More trays may help - only way to know is to try. You can cut back later when she has the hang of it. Two weeks post op is still quite early days so don't dispear yet.

You might find a stair gate to confine her to the kitchen (which I presume is easier to clean) and several trays in there may help.

Does she go all over in her cage? Usually corners are favourites.

Tam

Yes, we are trying keeping her in the kitchen for now as its laminate, so much easier to clean up!

In her cage, she started using one side for wees then randomly changed sides, so i moved tray there, so she went back to using the other side!! Hoping the larger tray will help with that bit. She poos anywhere though.

I'm hoping she will settle as she is an absolute delight to have inside!!

Are you putting any soiled paper in the litter tray? This will help her know where to go. I had problems training my lady bunny and more trays definatly helped. I had two in the cage and one outside. :D

Ooh yes, we are mopping up the spills and poos and putting them in the right place for her. She also has yummy hay in a rack above litter tray.

Shes only been inside since Tuesday, so maybe I'm expecting too much too soon!!!!

Back