• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lilly needs your assistance

deborah

Alpha Buck
i am running out of ideas peeps ,

lilly had her bladder flushed out due to urin crystals of calcium. My vet said put her on a low cal diet , the only low calcium one i could find was russle rabbit parsnip and beetroot mix but this dosent seem to help.

she is on timothy hay add lib and a very small amount of carrot , apple and dark green cabbage leaf.

she is dry now and her poop is back to a healthy size and colour but could someone tall me what comercial food is best for her?

she is very happy in herself and is an indoor bun , all else is notmal.

oh and she had a full course of antibiotics and other meds for systitus at the time of her bladder flush.

debbie. ps i have done reaserch on net about bladder care and what fo feed her but still cant find a site to help me with pellets.....

Looking at the back of Burgess Excel, it has 0.9% calcium if that helps any!

I may be wrong but dark cabbage leaf (is that the same as kale??) contains a relatively high amount of calcium?

I found this, I'm afraid it doesn't mention pellets & you've probably seen it already, but it seems quite useful just in case you haven't!! : http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-5/calcium.html

Maybe you could cut out pellets altogether & feed a hay & veg diet?

Sorry if that's not much use, hopefully someone else can offer you advice. Good luck & I hope Lilly doesn't have problems again.

Kate xx

I think more research into the pellets for you is needed as I would not personally exclude them completely from your bunnies diet as you have stated, she is an indoor bunny and unless you can find suitable veges that contain vitimin D, your bunny will need the pellets to acquire this essential vitimin which the majority of rabbits get from natural sunlight outside :wink:

What is/was your bunny on and what veges was she having before acquiring the sludge :?: It might just be a case of reducing the veges that she was on and just having a small amount of pellets a day to keep things under control :wink: unless your vet has advised no calcium at all I think it would be OK with a small amount of pellets and low calcium veg :)

not sure if these are any help to you :)

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/calcium.htm

Dont want to worry you with this next link, have added it as Bev wrote a very good post on it :wink:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4878&highlight=calcium

http://www.mahouserabbit.org/newsletter/calcium.asp

This is an interesting article on calcium metabolism. The lady writing this article recomends Bunny basics T which is made by Oxbow. I do not know the calcium content of the other pellets, apparently this has 0.4 - 0.8% calcium content.

I know that Cavy cuisine which is Oxbow's guinea pig pellets are the lowest when it comes to calcium content for piggie food.

It might pay to contact the manufacturers to see if they can give you the figures for their foods.

I also have a bun who suffers from cystitis but we have had to take him off pellets completely as he also has dental problems. We now have a balancing act getting him to eat hay and low calcium veggies. I hope you manage to work something out for your bun :D

As Denny says indoor bunnies need vit D - which you can't get from veggies. You could feed a vitamin supliment instead though (bt you'd have to watch that didn't have calcium added).

Back