• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder Flushed Today

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Hello,

I’m wondering a bit about your experiences with bladder flushing and recuperation afterwards.

My little Pepper had her bladder flushed today and despite having had bunnies for many years, it was the first time (thankfully) so I’m unsure of what to expect.

Pepper has had recurrent dribbling and leaking for a whole year. There has been several courses of antibiotics; she has low-calcium veg, and bottled water. Baytril clears it up, but 4-6 weeks later, she starts dribbling again.

I’d been looking into X-rays vs ultra sounds to check her bladder, but noticed sludge in her tray a few days ago (the first time) and asked to have her bladder flushed. (Several Vets have felt her bladder over the last year but not felt anything untoward)

The Vet said to finish her course of Baytril (3 days left) and give her Metacam for the same amount of time. I read that another bunny had Tramadol - is that better? Should I ask for that instead?

How did your bunny cope with a bladder flush? What painkiller did they have? How long until they perked up? Did they have to have a bladder flush again or did it sort the issue?

They did a blood test today too, which came back fine.

Thanxx

Hello,

I’m wondering a bit about your experiences with bladder flushing and recuperation afterwards.

My little Pepper had her bladder flushed today and despite having had bunnies for many years, it was the first time (thankfully) so I’m unsure of what to expect.

Pepper has had recurrent dribbling and leaking for a whole year. There has been several courses of antibiotics; she has low-calcium veg, and bottled water. Baytril clears it up, but 4-6 weeks later, she starts dribbling again.

I’d been looking into X-rays vs ultra sounds to check her bladder, but noticed sludge in her tray a few days ago (the first time) and asked to have her bladder flushed. (Several Vets have felt her bladder over the last year but not felt anything untoward)

The Vet said to finish her course of Baytril (3 days left) and give her Metacam for the same amount of time. I read that another bunny had Tramadol - is that better? Should I ask for that instead?

How did your bunny cope with a bladder flush? What painkiller did they have? How long until they perked up? Did they have to have a bladder flush again or did it sort the issue?

They did a blood test today too, which came back fine.

Thanxx

Clementine had her bladder flushed twice, first time was awful, she wasn't good after, stopped eating etc for ages, fell out with her friend, was very uncomfortable, she had both loxicom and tramadol for pain relief. Second time she bounced back in a day or so, was much better, had the same two painkillers.

Xrays clearly show the sludge up and that's how we monitor it, she had ultrasounds when they did the flush. She's not had to have one since as the reason she has such bad sludge was she wasn't drinking, and now she is. Also she was on a diuretic for a while.

I'm not sure they'd be able to feel the sludge, we always just use Xrays (not sedated) to see what's going on.

Sending vibes for Pepper x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Clementine had her bladder flushed twice, first time was awful, she wasn't good after, stopped eating etc for ages, fell out with her friend, was very uncomfortable, she had both loxicom and tramadol for pain relief. Second time she bounced back in a day or so, was much better, had the same two painkillers.

Xrays clearly show the sludge up and that's how we monitor it, she had ultrasounds when they did the flush. She's not had to have one since as the reason she has such bad sludge was she wasn't drinking, and now she is. Also she was on a diuretic for a while.

I'm not sure they'd be able to feel the sludge, we always just use Xrays (not sedated) to see what's going on.

Sending vibes for Pepper x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yep, agree with this. Also monitoring the condition with blood testing.

Re analgesia, the Vet may not want to prescribe Metacam ( a non steroidal anti inflammatory type of analgesic) if blood tests reveal that renal function is impaired, which can occur in cases of hypercalciuria /bladder sludge/stones/ if the kidneys are also affected. So a different type of analgesia such as an opiate may be prescribed. Or the Vet may use a much lower dose of Metacam than might otherwise be the case and also give ongoing fluid therapy (IV or SQ) whilst the Rabbit needs to be on the drug.

The condition can be chronic and care needs to be taken with monitoring it (regular Vet checks) and with dietary changes. An example of a suitable diet for a Rabbit with a history of 'Bladder Sludge' can be found on here :

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...t-for-rabbits-with-urinary-tract-disease/view

These links may also be useful to have a look at :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/urolithiasis/

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/HypercalciuriaRabbits.htm

https://sawneeanimalclinic.com/downloads/hypercalciuria_in_rabbits.pdf

https://rabbit.org/health/urolith.html

*Warning-graphic images on this link*
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

I hope that Pepper feels better soon :)

Little Pepper seemed shellshocked last night, bless her. I’m at work but OH is st home with her. I know she took a treat this morning, and he’ll tempt her with fresh greens today to ensure she’s eating.

Pepper is livelier today but I’m concerned that some wee came out sandy-looking. According to Vet this is normal after a flush but I’m feeling a bit uneasy xx

Pepper is livelier today but I’m concerned that some wee came out sandy-looking. According to Vet this is normal after a flush but I’m feeling a bit uneasy xx

There may be some residual sediment that is being passed. Better out than in. A good fluid intake over several days will help :)

Back