• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering

sonia

New Kit
Hi,

I wondered if anyone knows how long it normally takes beofre you nitoce a change in aggressivness and behaviour after getting a male rabbit neutered? I have just got my French lop neutered and am keen to know if and when it will calm him down.

Sonia

Hiya, welcome to RU :D I think it can take up to about 6 weeks for all the hormones to calm down, but my bun Pippa definitely showed signs of calming down after 2 weeks but obviously she's female so don't know if it's any different for males

My male bunny wasnt at all agressive so havent really noticed any difference in him other than he is now happily bonded :D

My french lop was neutered just over two weeks ago when he was 17 weeks. He has always been a cuddly bun, so again I havent noticed a change in him as he has nbever been aggressive. Sorry I cant help.

I have noticed changes within 2 weeks but ours were a little on the old side when we had them 'done'. :shock:

I sure hope that it is soon. He has atacked me three times today He literally chased me across the kitchen while I had my back turned and bit my heal. He just seems to be getting worse and worse. It only seems to be with me and not so much with my partner. He is actually biting and rattling the cage because I've shut him in a few hours ago because i'm so frightened to go in the kitchen in case he attacks me yet again. I've tried everything and nothing works :cry:

If it makes you feel better a lady whose doe i am bonding with one of my fosters in a couple of weeks has jsut been spayed and is doing exactly the same thing. It should die down naturally, I hope so as otherwise i am dreading this bonding!

Hope bunny stops being a baddy soon. He won't mean it but I know that they can be scary when they want to be. I've heard that they sense fear very well and like being the 'top bun'. Is he like this with you or other people too?.

Fiona x

I can't say for a male, but with my 2 girlies it took several months for their behaviour to gradually change. Probably about 2 or 3! I must admit, I never expected it to take so long.

I don't have experience of dealing with bucks, but my doe was spayed a week ago on Thursday and she's started to calm down considerably already.

Before and immediately after her spay she had started to get quite territorial about her hutch. She was never aggressive outside of her cage, but she did occasionally lunge and growl if I kept my hands inside her hutch for too long. However, she now hasn't grumped at me for over five days... I think she's back to being the sweetie pie she was before her hormones kicked in ;)

As others have said, I have heard that it can take a little longer for males to settle - about a month to six weeks. Let us know how he gets on :D

In response to Fionabun

He is predominantly like this with me. He doesn't seem to bother my partner as much. I guess its just perserverence and time.

Sonia

Morrigan1981 said:
I don't have experience of dealing with bucks, but my doe was spayed a week ago on Thursday and she's started to calm down considerably already.

Before and immediately after her spay she had started to get quite territorial about her hutch. She was never aggressive outside of her cage, but she did occasionally lunge and growl if I kept my hands inside her hutch for too long. However, she now hasn't grumped at me for over five days... I think she's back to being the sweetie pie she was before her hormones kicked in ;)

As others have said, I have heard that it can take a little longer for males to settle - about a month to six weeks. Let us know how he gets on :D

Im glad Jens settled down. I have had to reassure Moonbird as Lily has been very aggressive over the bathroom since her spay and now she is panicking.

Back