• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

tips re vet collar

B

BRACKEN

Benjamin was neutered on Tuesday and is doing fine. One question though - I wasn't expecting him to have a collar on - which he obviously hates. At the check up yesterday she suggested I keep it on for another week in case he pulls his stitches.

Its such a difficult balance between taking if off so he can eat and drink easily but having to watch him. Its not like a dog when you know they have had thier 'dinner'.

I have tried to put food and water in 'tall' bowls. Does anyone have any other ideas from their experience?

Thanks

Linda

My vet NEVER uses the collars for Bunnies. She uses internal sutures and wound glue so there is nothing for the Bun to nibble.She feels the collars are inappropriate for use on Rabbits and just add to their stress. And with the collar on Bun cant eat his/her caecotrophs.

If he were my Bunny I would not use the collar. BUT I am NOT saying go against the advice your Vet gave you.

Janex

Is the collar tied around the neck with a bandage through the loops? I had to have a collar on scout when she broke her leg to keep her from the stitches and found her leg caught in it one morning, partially choking her.

Keep a very close eye on him and get it off asap.

Well, Egg didn't have a collar on, and then proceeded to eat her stitches which meant she had to go under again to have them put back in.

However, Donut (who was 'done' before Egg) didn't eat her stitches at all...

I think it's very bun dependent, so i'd advise taking the collar off and watching him like a hawk - if he does go for a sniff in the area, make sure he doesn't start nibbling. If he does start nibbling, i'd put the collar back on when he isn't supervised, and if he shows no interest at all, then perhaps you might risk taking it off.

Has to be said internal stitches sounds like a much better idea - but my vets didn't do this...

woodstock said:
Has to be said internal stitches sounds like a much better idea - but my vets didn't do this...

I think its a good idea to establish that the Vet doing the op' DOES use internal sutures. If not I would advise seeking out another Vet

Janex

Thank you.

Benjamin has been in the kitchen today without the collar eating and drinking but I have put it on him tonight as he is back outside.

Its a good point re finding out which way the vet does the proceedure. Perhaps it could be added to the advice given on this site for neutering? It would be helpful for others not to have a collar.

Linda

I would personally never use a collar on a bunny again after what happened with Weedie. He had to have his foot amputated and it was nearly healed when he started to chew at it :roll: I took him back to the vet who said he thought a collar was the only way and fitted one. He was fine during the day and eating with it on, but at night was a different story. I came down in the morning to find the collar full of poo and Weedie covered in it! :shock: The collar had stopped him from eating his caecotrophs and he'd been frantically trying to clean himslef and just spreading the poo further :shock:

Needless to say I was completely horrified and took the collar off straight away and cleaned him up. He's such a clean little bun it must have been awful for him and I felt so guilty :oops: :( Short of sitting up with him all night to watch him I decided the best way to go was to put a dressing on the foot, so I went back to the vet and told him what I wanted to do. He agreed with me and I put a small peice of Melolin on the affected area and secured it with Vetrap bandage. I changed the dressing every day until it ws healed and he's been fine ever since.

I know the situation with your bun is not the same as he's been castrated, so I think it's vital to make sure that your vet uses internal sutures so there's nothing for the bun to chew at.

Just wanted to post this because I didn't want you to come down to a situation like I did with Weedie!

Like Jane says our vet used internal stitches and glue. With almost 1000 rabbits (male and female) ARC have had neutered we have had 2 open up their wounds. Whilst this number may be considered by some as 2 too many, I personally would not use a collar as the risk of then not eating and not being able to clean themselves or 're-eat' their food is far greater than this 0.02%

I also looked around until I found a vet that did internal stitches as I would have dreaded the thought of having a rabbit in one of those collars!

Kate x

My rabbit had to have a collar on after he had surgery on his eye. There was no other option as he kept scratching at the stitches. I gave him his pellets in a shallow cat bowl. He could squash the collar down enough to get at them. He had water in a water bottle. I had to wash poo off the collar every morning! He was given a probiotic from the vets. He still went out in his run with it on and seemed to get on fine. Although, he used it as a weapon against the cat!

CIMG3668.jpg

Velvet had to wear a collar after he ripped open his neutering wound but he wasn't happy with it. It was one of the ones you tie on with cloth and like others have said he was ok during the day but couldn't eat his caecotrophs and this upset him. I wouldn't say that wearing a collar after a neutering op is standard procedure and another week does seem like a long time especially re the caecotrophs as these should form part of their diet - but I do agree that the vets advice should be followed but if you're not happy I'd suggest you either talk to them or get a second opinion. Hope he heals up quick!x

Thanks everyone.

I left his collar on for the nights and took it off in the day when I could keep checking on him. As he was fine in the day I left if off last night and it was fine. He hasn't touched his stitches, so fingers crossed he seems fine! I am much happier it is off of him.

I will bear it in mind if I have to take any other bunnies to the vets!

Linda

Back