• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fleas!!

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
I've just been out with the rabbits, Poppy was sat on top of the hutch and I saw something jumping round her feet. I killed it... it was brown, it wasn't hard to see (like rat lice are) and like I said it was jumping around.

I checked her over (thank gawd for her white leg) and she has little beasties crawling around in her fur.

Does that sound like fleas??

I checked the dog over and (not surprisingly cos she's frontlined) she's clear so I don't know where she's picked them up from :?

Do you have to routinely give flea treatments to a bunny like you do cats and dogs?

I havent done this with my bunnies.

Also never wormed them. More things to worry about!

I don't know Donna... I've never treated any rabbits routinely and this is the 1st time I've ever experienced a rabbit with fleas :?

No, you don't need to treat rabbits routinely. The fleas are probably not rabbit fleas but from a passing dog/cat/hedgehog etc.

You should be able to get flea treatment from your vet, not all are safe for rabbits so don't treat with kitten/puppy ones.

Tam

Yep, cats/dogs are more suceptable as they go out and about. Rabbits very rarely get them and I think I've only heard of one case of a rabbit having rabbit fleas usually its cat/dog fleas so treating your other pets is enough.

Again rabbits don't usually have problems with worms so most people don't routinely treat unless there are symtoms.

Only routine treatment for bunnies is vaccinations for VHD and Myxi :)

Tam

Tamsin said:
Yep, cats/dogs are more suceptable as they go out and about. Rabbits very rarely get them and I think I've only heard of one case of a rabbit having rabbit fleas usually its cat/dog fleas so treating your other pets is enough.

Again rabbits don't usually have problems with worms so most people don't routinely treat unless there are symtoms.

Only routine treatment for bunnies is vaccinations for VHD and Myxi :)

Tam

Thought that was the case, thanks for confirming!!

Tamsin said:
The fleas are probably not rabbit fleas but from a passing dog/cat/hedgehog etc.

So she most likely got them from free ranging out the garden?? Does that mean once she's treated I can't let her back out there without her getting them back again??

If you ring your vets they will put you up some ADVANTAGE its a drop on for bunnies and can be used for cats small dogs too..

frontline doesnt kill fleas until they have bitten the dog/cat who is treated with it..so in effect maybe a few unwelcome travellers get to hitch a ride..or some contact has been made with something else with fleas..and yes ive sen fleas in grass in the warm weather..ive been bitten that way myself in the past!

But no dont stop the freedom..just go buy some advantage!

trot along to the ross rabbits website and they have a shop..vaga valley i think..i bught some flea kiler for buns and flea repellant too till i could get the advantage..our kitens were infested when i took them on and even frontline spray couldnt do the trick..but touch wood they all got done with advantage and were looking good!!

You can get flea treatment for buns from the vet, the one I used was advantage. Dont use frontline on a rabbit though, it can kill them.

If you want to protect your buns from fleas once you have treated them, you should try Assisi Grooming Lotion.

Someone on here reccomended it to me when I was having trouble with the neighbours cats passing fleas to my buns. I used advantage on them all to kill the fleas and since then have just been using the grooming lotion.

And it has been working. The cats are still always around the hutches and still crawling with fleas :roll: but I havent found any fleas on the buns since I started using it :D

Back