• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lilly Bun is becoming aggresive, Please help

ForMyDaughter

Young Bun
Good evening, I hope you are well and had a great Christmas.

We are haveing a problem and hope for some advice about Lilly, our 2 year old Dwarf Lop. She lives with Freddy an 18 month old Dwarf Lop, in a pen in the kitchen. They come out for a 'hop around' the house everyday and are generally well loved and cared for members of the family.

Lilly had a litter by Freddie about 8 months ago, all went fine and good homes where found for the kits. Freddie has had the 'snip'.

The problem is Lilly is haveing more and more fantom pregnancies, nest building, including pulling her fur out in preperation. This in itself is not a problem. But her increasingly aggresive behaviour towards the female members of the family (my two daughters and the missus) is becomeing a problem. She growls, bites and will generally lunge at them.

What can we do to curb this behaviour??

Any advice is very welcome, as we have no wish to see a loved pet acting 'out of character' like this.

lilly becoming aggressive/please help

Hiya :) in a word GET YOU BUNNY SPAYED :shock: her aggressive behaviour is due to raging hormones :( once she has been spayed she will calm down and her behaviour should return to normal :)

Hello,
Has Lilybun been spayed? If she`s not spayed then much of her aggression could be down to her hormones, hence the nest building, fur pulling and territorial aggression. Her hormones are telling her to have babies and she`s being aggressive as she wants to protect her home from predators, i:e: you and your daughters.
I think that your best bet is to have Lilybun spayed and hopefully after a few weeks her hormones will start to die down and she will become a more friendly and happy bunny.
Obviously there are no 100% guarentees but from my experience spaying makes a female bunny much more friendly as she doesn`t have all those raging hormones to deal with.

Hope this helps,
Best Wishes and a Happy New Year to you.

P.S. Spaying also helps protect from uterine cancer.

Su.x :D

The poor bunny..all those rampaging hormones :shock: Book her in for a spay as soon as you can. Apart from calming her down she'll have a far lower chance of uterine cancer.

Thanks for the replys, we thought haveing her 'spayed' was the answer. But didn't want to suggest it, incase their was or is, something else we can do.

Hey Su..we must have been separated at birth!!!! Same info posted at the same time....spooky :wink:

Welcome to RR! :wave: I agree that getting your rabbit spayed will help to settle her hormones down. I have a four month old female bun and she's just about starting to get the occasional hormonal grumps with me too! As others have also said, spaying will also drastically reduce the chances of your bun suffering from uterine cancer :)

If you need some help finding a good rabbit savvy vet in Kent, I'm sure there are a few forummers from that part of the UK posting on here :D

Spaying will definitely help. All those phantom pregnancies must be very stressful for her and rabbits are more likely to be aggressive during them. Spaying will also prevent any chance of uterine cancer, which is unfortunately very common in rabbits.

You can manage the behaviour by avoiding situations that cause the aggression e.g. don't put your hands in her pen, put her in a carrier whilst you clean and have two food bowls so you can swap them without getting attacked.

Spaying is the only cure for phantom pregnancies though and also likely to cure or reduce the aggression.

Tam

In total agreement with all of the above, get her booked in when you can. There's loads of us on here who have had our girls spayed and if you have any questions or need any support just ask, it's what we are all here for.

Back