• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why have they both been ill?

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
After Audrey's non eating probs at the weekend and then having her teeth done on Monday, this morning I had to take Rowan to the vets as last night after thinkign he was being quiet, later on his stomach was gurgling, he did small poos and he was eating much less.

I gave him infacol, syringed water and baby food and then took him in this morning. Vet said his molars had v. small spurs so they burred them and gave him metoclop (or whatever its called.).

Anyway....why has this happened both at the same time? I mentioned on my other thread that the same happened with Esmerelda and Hann. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=35699

Am i doing something wrong?
I dont give them things like cabbage, but they do have a small amount of broccoli once or twice a week (I know this can cause gas...but not sure if it has anyrelation to teeth anyway :? )

I am sure its not something you are doing wrong!!
Are Audrey and Rowen normally both good hay eaters?
If so I would try to make that the main part of their diet, ie not feeding to much pellets. I would not feed Brocolli at all (or cabbage).
Also, maybe give them a 3 day course of Fibreplex then a week of Bio-lapis

http://www.petvetcare.co.uk/acatalog/Small_Animals_Pets.html

I have said it before but I am SURE Rexes have an extra delicate GI tract. There is no proof from 'the experts' but ....... :? :?

Janex

I'm sure it is nothing you have done either - these things do just happen but of course we blame ourselves!! I'm going through the same thing with Amy, you just want them to be better!

I will take on the advice from Jane for Amy too! She has only had cabbage for the past couple of weeks but that will be stopped and although she loves broccoli that will be stopped too for the time being!! Is cauliflower OK to give or can that cause problems too?

I do hope both your bunnies are OK soon, I bet you are sprouting grey hairs like me!

Nicola

nicolar said:
I'm sure it is nothing you have done either - these things do just happen but of course we blame ourselves!! I'm going through the same thing with Amy, you just want them to be better!

I will take on the advice from Jane for Amy too! She has only had cabbage for the past couple of weeks but that will be stopped and although she loves broccoli that will be stopped too for the time being!! Is cauliflower OK to give or can that cause problems too?

I do hope both your bunnies are OK soon, I bet you are sprouting grey hairs like me!

Nicola

Having had some Buns react badly to Cauliflower I dont feed it. It gets so confusing knowing who can have what Veg so I stick to the unibunsally safe ones now!!

Janex

Thanks very much Jane, thats really helped.

They are both really good at eating hay, especially Audrey.
Will cut down on pellets and not feed broccoli anymore.

thank you x

Thanks Jane :) Have never had a problem with cauliflower in the past and been feeding it since she was young, but I won't give any to her at the mo, just in case though I don't think that's the culprit but you never know!!!

It is difficult with veg isn't it!!

Nicola

I stick to the safe veg that I know my two are ok with - everyday they get 3 spring green leaves, half a carrot, some bits of celery and a few brussel sprouts. They also like cauliflower leaves (our local Morrisons lets you have them for free, they're kept under the caulis), herbs esp parsley, mint and basil and carrot tops.

kayjay said:
everyday they get 3 spring green leaves, half a carrot, some bits of celery and a few brussel sprouts. They also like cauliflower leaves (our local Morrisons lets you have them for free, they're kept under the caulis), herbs esp parsley, mint and basil and carrot tops.

My Buns say are you taking bookings for Christmas Dinner? The menu sounds ace!! :thumb: If you are can you cater for 41 hungry Bunnies........ :wink: :lol:

Janex

Thats pretty much what Audrey and Rowan have day to day too, with occasional apple, cucumber, bell pepper and broccoli (but not anymore :no: )

Spring greens is their favourite :p

Don't worry I'm sure it's nothing you've done. I've had both Ruby and Millie be ill with GI Statis at the same time and they are both rexes so you could be right Jane... :?

Back