• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it harder to rehome long haired buns?!

good question but i wouldn't call him longhaired though, my lionhead (similar mane) was a doddle however i can understand why it would be harder to rehome angoras or long haired lionheads, cute as they look my 2 are really hard work :shock:

i have found lionheads really quick to rehome even the really fluffy ones, that one doesnt appear that fluffy anyway although i now have a angora X in cant see that being so easy!" :roll: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think it can vary with lionheads - Vincent was a lionhead but he was uber-fluffy and combing him took a good half an hour each night, often longer! :shock: You're right that Dino doesn't look that fluffy though (although he's still lovely! :love: )

Maybe it's just that more fluffy buns come up for rehoming as people buy them on the basis that they are cute and then realise what hard work they are and so lose interest quickly?

Also, I guess most fluffy buns have to be house rabbits, so that restricts the available homes a little. I'm just surprised at how many appear to be listed on RR :(

i have found lionheads really quick to rehome even the really fluffy ones, that one doesnt appear that fluffy anyway although i now have a angora X in cant see that being so easy!

Awww, can we see a picture? Pleeeease? :lol:

Morrigan1981 said:
I think it can vary with lionheads - Vincent was a lionhead but he was uber-fluffy and combing him took a good half an hour each night, often longer! :shock: You're right that Dino doesn't look that fluffy though (although he's still lovely! :love: )

Maybe it's just that more fluffy buns come up for rehoming as people buy them on the basis that they are cute and then realise what hard work they are and so lose interest quickly?

Also, I guess most fluffy buns have to be house rabbits, so that restricts the available homes a little. I'm just surprised at how many appear to be listed on RR :(

i have found lionheads really quick to rehome even the really fluffy ones, that one doesnt appear that fluffy anyway although i now have a angora X in cant see that being so easy!

Awww, can we see a picture? Pleeeease? :lol:

havent had time to take a pictures of him yet but will tommorrow and will show you him, he has the most wonderful temperment even after being a school pet :roll: :roll: :cry: :cry:

A school pet??? Poor thing. I suggest to rehome him to a place without children!!!
I am always a total wreck after my boys' swimming class (was today again), can't even imagine how a bunny must feel with all the noise around it. And even worse, if the kids are allowed to pick him up etc.. :shock:

I think long haired rabbits are quite fashionable right now, and then people realise that they need a lot of care and get tired of them. But that happens to every type of pet. I don't think long haired bunnies are generally more difficult to rehome.

Bavarian Bunny said:
A school pet??? Poor thing. I suggest to rehome him to a place without children!!!
I am always a total wreck after my boys' swimming class (was today again), can't even imagine how a bunny must feel with all the noise around it. And even worse, if the kids are allowed to pick him up etc.. :shock:

I think long haired rabbits are quite fashionable right now, and then people realise that they need a lot of care and get tired of them. But that happens to every type of pet. I don't think long haired bunnies are generally more difficult to rehome.

he has no ill effects from being around children he is quite friendly :D

long hair rabbits are harder to rehome due to the fact they needs lots of grooming and mostly people want easier to care for rabbits the people that like grooming or even have the time for it are few and far between

Eve x

I can imagine that finding time for grooming would be difficult for a lot of people. I guess if it takes (say) half an hour per rabbit per day and you have two fluffsters, that's already an hour each day committed just to grooming the buns :shock: It doesn't sound like much, but I imagine it could get overwhelming.

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't like grooming though - I loved grooming Vincent, even though he was often less keen on most occasions :lol: He relaxed a lot once he had settled in, but I remember sitting in tears the first time I tried to groom him, simply because he was so matted I thought I would never be able to remove all the tangles and knots.

AlisonA said:
I'm due a fatso :lol: But you never know, it might be a fluffy fatso :lol:

Well, then she will have to be groomed while hopping on the fitness equipment. :lol:

You should open a beauty parlor and fitness studio for bunnies, Alison. Nail bar, grooming sofa, hairdresser, ear tattoos....... and, of course, your own bunny fashion boutique.

Sad thing is, I am sure that somewhere in the USA this exists already. :lol:

I'm fostering an ickle bun for Eve, but he's starting to grow up and needs to go back to Eve to get ready for neutering and rehoming :cry: So Eve is coming over at the weekend and the plan is that we're going to swap - she will take Mikey back and is going to bring me a fatso bun to go through the AlisonA diet and fitness regime :lol:

AlisonA said:
I'm fostering an ickle bun for Eve, but he's starting to grow up and needs to go back to Eve to get ready for neutering and rehoming :cry: So Eve is coming over at the weekend and the plan is that we're going to swap - she will take Mikey back and is going to bring me a fatso bun to go through the AlisonA diet and fitness regime :lol:

not possible nessecary both are going for post op checks and i will see what the vets thinks, both are old so it may just be middle age spread lol,

do you want a fluffster? :lol: :lol:

Ooooh does that mean I get to keep Mikey for a bit longer :angel:

Just been out there...he has plums :shock:

AlisonA said:

Uh oh, not much longer!!

But that means that Mikey will be with Eve when I go visit her. :shock: She has to put a curtain in frnt of his hutch or something. :lol:

AlisonA said:

nope i thought you may like to look after smokey for a while??? angora X

You could trim his hair with one of these machines, then you don't have to groom him too much. :D He may look more like a lamb then, but hey, might get fashionable. Or give him a poodle style! :lol:

P.S.: I don't think Eve would ever give me a long haired rabbit after today. :D

Back