• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any help and advice hugely appreciated please?

Dobbin

Mama Doe
Dobbin has been getting a bit boisterous and nipping, so we are having him done on Friday. I am so worried, what shall i send with him, what do i do when he comes home?

Most importnatly - will he be ok?

sue

xx

Awww, bless him! I'm sure he'll be absolutely fine. Bobby was home by 5pm, and back to his normal self after a few hours.
Good luck Dobbin!
Are you planning on getting him a girlfriend when he's done?

Hi Sue! Glad to hear that Dobbin is now healthy enough to go ahead with the snip!! You don't really need to do anything special or send anything with him, although if there is a particular favourite food of his that will tempt him to eat, it wouldn't hurt if you took some of that with you. Make sure you feed him as normal right up until you take him in.

When he is ready to collect, ask them about what time his op was done and check that he has had a painkiller. Knowing when he was done should give you a rough idea of when he should start to feel better. If he is done in the morning, he will more than likely be fairly boisterous and pretty much back to normal by the evening - funnily enough, little Nomad, the 4 year old I had neutered, bounced back and was absolutely fine far quicker than some of the younger ones I've had done! How quickly they recover does seem to vary, but do expect him to be a bit drowsy and chilly the same evening.

Make sure you keep him indoors overnight and maybe the next day/night, depending on how he is and how cold it is outdoors. Most boys don't need any special care as it is a minor operation and they recover very well, but just make sure you have lots of tasty treats to tempt him to eat, some vet bed/towels etc to put on the floor instead of hay, shavings etc (could get stuck in the wound), and many buns also prefer a bowl instead of a bottle after the surgery.

It's bound to be a worrying day for you, but the male neuter is a really quick, non invasive operation so he should be fine. Of course there is always a theoretical risk with any anaesthetic but the risk really is very minimal.

Good luck, please do keep us posted! (And can we have some more pictures please, Dobbin is just sooo cute!)

aaawww im sure he'll be ok.
I sent mine in with a packed lunch of their favourite veggies/herbs if he likes those, or u could send hay/pellets if he prefers those. When Simba went in he had a teddy bear he used to lick so i sent that in with him.
Boys are alot easier than girls post op. He will probably be a bit quiet but i expect he will be back to normal pretty quickly. Does he live indoors?

thank you

i will post some more pics of my baby!!!

he has the run of a shed, i will keep him in fir a day or two.

what about his litter tray? he has hay in that, is thatok?

sue
xx

Back