• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preparing for winter?

Treacle44

Warren Scout
Just wondered how those of you with outdoor bunnies are preparing for winter. We've moved ours into the garage after the fox scare last week, but it's still so cold out there, I'm worried if they will be okay.

Thinking of getting some vetbed, will that help? Also would it be okay to put a towel on the floor under their hay in the sleeping area?

What else can I do?

Thanks

Hay Hay and more Hay!! :wink: Mind you I'm hoping that as there is 4 of them this winter they will keep each other warm too .

To be honest I don't do anything in particular other than make sure they have a draft free place to retreat to, to snuggle up in. My lops have a container stuffed with straw and hay, and my nethies have a covered cat basket inside their hutch in their shed :lol: They spend most of the winter sitting outside in their runs anyway so they can't be that cold :wink: Unless there is a particularly sudden severe snap, their fur coats should grow thick enough that the cold weather won't unduly bother them.

I've got 2 single buns this year so I'm thinking they're going to need a snugglesafe but the cold doesn't bother my angoras at all they'll both be out in their run!!!

I've just put straw and more hay into their hutches for them to snuggle in to. But I don't know why I bother :shock: as they only sit on top of their hutches anyway :roll:

By bunnies have removed (eaten) the divider that keeps their bed snug from the entrance so I think I'll need to replace/cover the mesh so make sure they're snug. Other than that they have extra straw hay and a cover to keep out the rain. I heat them a snugglesafe when it gets really cold but considering they spend most of the night in the run I guess they don't bother with the weather too much.

Tam

Was freezing last night, yet my two were sitting out in the run when I came to give them pellets at 10:30pm! They are happy sitting out there when its snowing two! :lol: I do warm up a snugglesnafe heatpad for them during the coldest spells of winter, but seeing as they are in a shed they are well away from wind and rain. :D

One thing you will want to watch out for is their water! I use a snugglesafe bottle cover and always make sure the water is warm when it goes in to try and make it stay warm during the night.

I just give them extra hay, and straw esp in the bedroom area so they can ignore it and sit out in the run instead :roll: Actually when it's really cold Barley will sit in the hutch instead, but Dolly ins't bothered at all. Actually she loves the snow, I have hutch over run combos and when I open the living room door to feed her she normally, hops over the netting of the run and goes straight for the food bowl. However if it's snowing she will ignore the food and go for a hop in the snow instead. I have to be careful that she doesn't escape too far!!

Back