• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eddie's not well

crazy eddie

Young Bun
Hi

Eddie was fine this morning, but when I got home from work he was cold (his a house rabbit) his ears are cold. He won't take any food not even his favorite food, he just lying down and does not want to move. I have wrapped him in a fleece blanket, but his still cold.

Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong with him?

Signs that I need to look out for?

Is his breathing "normal"? His ears are his thermostat, so they will not always reflect the same temperature as the rest of him. Have you tried to tempt him with parsely or banana, a treat?

Has he been to the toilet at all? - clean out his litter tray so that you can see of he "goes"

How is his stomach? Does it feel gassy or gurgley or really hard?

No sign of dribbling, or wet nose/eyes?

Can you encourage him to move around a bit? - If it is a gassy tummy, movement will help

I would strongly suggest contacting your vet as buns can deterorate rather quickly.

Please get Eddie to a vet asap - he could be in shock or he could be in stasis - sending vibes to Eddie that he gets better soon.

Completey agree with Alison and Jay. Time is of the essence when it comes to bunnies and not eating.
Let us know how you get on at the vets.

It could be tummy probs if he hasnt pooed or eaten still... like what my Nala has just had. I gave her infacol, 1ml at a time every hour or so.. and lots of tummy massages, and syringe fed her critical care food which you mix with water to make a paste.. if u dont have that u can use their own pellets mashed up but its not so easy. Definitely get him seen by a vet asap if there is no improvement soon.

Please get him to a vet asap - bunnies are good at hiding pain and he may need something to aleviate that as well as deal with the problem. Hope he feels better soon.x

Thank you for all the replies

I'm taking him to the vets today.

He has not been to the toilet, but he did eat some hay and a treat. He has drank more water than normal.

Eddie's been to the vets, he had 3 injections.

They gave me critical care food which I will try soon I will let him settle down first.

His stomach feels normal and his breathing is ok

The vets said they normally respond well to the injections so fingers crossed.

aawww i hope Eddie is feeling much better soon and starts eating and pooing! Did the vet say if he had gas in his tummy or can you feel gas gurling around his belly? My Nala recently had this and i gave her infacol every few hours and massaged her tummy lots too to help the gas escape. She loved the critical care stuff so i hope Eddie does too! Let us know how he goes

The vet said he could not hear any gas.

He gave him vetergesic 0.15ml, Metoclopramide 0.25ml and baytril 0.45ml
He also got oxbow critical care which I gave him some every half hour yesterday, but I'm at work today so I hope he will be ok.

He is eating a bit now mainly his hay and has done some poo's. He looks alot brighter :)

That sounds good, sounds like everything's moving through. Give him a snuggle from me.

Back