• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Probiotic?? - getting tomorrow

lucyj

Mama Doe
As u prob know frm my other post, 1 of my buns has got myxi, and ellepotter suggested adding a probitic 2 water, and shivyrex suggested Biolapis.

I dont have any of this, wasnt really wantin to leave him and trail back 2 vets as its a bit away, but I will if people think he needs it tonight tho?

The thing is today he's already had an anti-inflammatory injection, he's to get baytril a little later, he has arnica and pineapple juice in his water, and Ive burned 2 lots of tea tree, eucalyptus, elphemi and caphor oils in a burner near them so far, isnt this over-loading his system a bit? Oh and I put calendula and camomile cream on his swollen bits, but he licked it off (with Honey's help......)

Would I be better waitin til tomorrow before I add something else? Or should I go get it now? I last saw him eating about 1 and a half hours ago, just now they are sleeping but they usually are at this time of day. I can't really tell if he's pooing, as they'r both in 2gether, not many poo's from either of them so far today but was loads in tray this morning...... :? :cry:

Personally I would skip the Pineapple juice and add the Probiotic (I use Avipro as its cheaper then Bio-Lapis and just as good).

As far as I am aware Pineapple juice is to help break down hairballs? :?

Louise

Just phoned vet 2 ask if had either in stock, dont, but could get. asked what for and I explained, said best to wait til see vet again on thurs espesh as on other treatments as even just a nutritional supplement can be too much, so jst 2 wait,

I was thinking, I was saying not much poos from either 2day, but normally only get 2 handfuls pellets between them in morning then hay during day, finished usual b/fast this morning, then when vet says make sure he keeps eating when I got home I filled their bowl right up (at least 6 handfuls if not more) and they've eaten over half of that between them this afternoon, and hardly any hay, so that may be why. Just been out to garden and got the mloads of yummy grass, so both have had a bit of that. Opened cage and Honey's out having a nosey about but Harly just ahd alook over edge thought about it then didnt, but then he's back munching grass so .........

Hi Lucy

I would not overload their tum with lots more food than they are used to.
Hay, hay and more hay is really important to keep their guts going whilst fighting the myxi.

I would omit the pineapple juice in their water too. The probiotic really wont effect any of the other meds they are on and it wont 'overload' their system. All it does is try to enhance the 'good bacteria' in their guts. The 'good bacteria' can be destroyed by antibiotics.

One of my Veterinary reference books (Notes on Rabbit Internal Medicine) states that the survival rate of Buns with Myxi is increased if they are maintained at a constant temp of 29.4C. I have no idea where or by whom this research was done but the authors of the book are Richard A Saunders MRCVS and Ron Rees Davies MRCVS.

Sending lots of vibes for Harly and Honey

Janex

would omit the pineapple juice in their water too. The probiotic really wont effect any of the other meds they are on and it wont 'overload' their system. All it does is try to enhance the 'good bacteria' in their guts. The 'good bacteria' can be destroyed by antibiotics.

So pour the pineapple juice out tonight and just give them pure water with arnica in? I thought it might also make them likely to drink more as they drink hardly anything, but to be honest it hasnt seemed to so far, Harly took tiny sip from bowl and that's it, so did Honey.

The vets recepetionist phoned back, must have recognised who I was, spoke to vet when finished surgery and said they do have Avipro but they just call it something different, she's going to get some ready for me for tomorrow morning. Says its a good idea, while it's not going to work miracles (ie cure the myxi) it def may go a long way to helping.

So far he has eaten a big pile of grass and 2 small pieces of carrot with his Baytril in this evening. I opened up the front of the cage to let them out for a while, Harly didnt to begin with but then I put a litter tray full of hay next to it and he jumped out in2 that, had a tiny little nose around, then got back in2 tray. He's been out in2 it a few times now,ate carrots in it and a few pieces of hay, and there's lots of poo's in it but Honey's been in too, dont think they're all his tho. There was a string of about 6 caecals that hasnt been eaten so i think they're his but I'll keep an eye on that

Jane - reg heat, i did read that somewhere else to, I dont have a thermometer in the house so Im just tryin to keep it nice and cosy but not too hot[/quote]

Jack's-Jane said:
One of my Veterinary reference books (Notes on Rabbit Internal Medicine) states that the survival rate of Buns with Myxi is increased if they are maintained at a constant temp of 29.4C. I have no idea where or by whom this research was done but the authors of the book are Richard A Saunders MRCVS and Ron Rees Davies MRCVS.

I've been trying to find a source for this information today (re temperature and Mxyie) as I remember reading about it a few weeks ago.

Louise

I gave Maisie bio-lapis when she was on long term antibiotic. The excellent vet I went to charged me £19.00 for 10 sachets and it gave me a heart attack. You can get it on the internet for 4.95 for 5 sachets from Penstone. I recently ordered some to have as an emergency with a use by date of 2008 and it came within a couple of days. I thought this might be useful for you to know if they are going to be on it for a while and its expensive at your vets.

Back