• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

First Vets Visit

Flick

Alpha Buck
We are taking our 2 newly adopted bunnies for their VHD vacs on Saturday, but they get scared easily and don't like being held at the moment. Any tips?

Will we need to be able to hold them for their vacs and what if they escape?!! How can we reduce risk of any mishaps or injuries?

We have put their carrier into the pen and walked around with them in it a few times but they are very nervous and more scared for a while when they first come out. Although they do go back in to the carrier again afterwards!

These are our first bunnies so any advise appreciated - Thanks :)

foodtime.jpg

Its a shame the carrier isn't top opening because then you could take the top off, leave them in there and do it all with minimal fuus.
But I wouldn't worry too much. Mine don't even flinch when they have their vacs - I don't think they really feel anything and its over in a couple of seconds. The vet should be well practised in dealing with nervous animals and they shouldn't escape. Actually, I find that when mine are at the vets they kind of go into submission and stay very still.
Hope it goes well! Have a few nice herbs or something ready to bribe back their affection afterwards!

Flick,

2 of mine are quite timid but vets know what they are doing when it comes to handling animals so no problems.

By the way, I see they having VHD jabs, have they already had the Myxi jabs?. All of mine had the Myxi jabs first then 2 weeks later the VHD jabs. Just a thought :)

Good Luck at the vets.

Tracey x

After I'd had Bugsy and Lola for a few weeks I took them for their VHD. They were my first bunnies and I wasn't very confident handling them. Lola was fine but when I was holding Bugsy he wriggled out of my grip and nearly shot off the end of the table. I screamed :oops: and the vet went to get one of the girls that work there to hold him for me. When I took Snowy in to have his hair clipped I asked the vet to get one of the girls to hold him for me again.

So maybe if you are not confident you could ask the vet to get someone to help, im sure he wouldn't mind . :D

TRACEY said:
Flick,

2 of mine are quite timid but vets know what they are doing when it comes to handling animals so no problems.

By the way, I see they having VHD jabs, have they already had the Myxi jabs?. All of mine had the Myxi jabs first then 2 weeks later the VHD jabs. Just a thought :)

Good Luck at the vets.

Tracey x

Tracey they were mxyi jabbed before Flick adopted them! :D

and Flick as others have said leave it to the vet..they will be used to timid animals :D

Thanks

Carrier is top opening so hopefully that will help.

A friend recently said their bunny lept off the vets table when going for vacs and banged his head as he landed on the floor so I was a bit concerned - he is quite a tame relaxed bun!

some animals do get very stressed at the vets..especially if there are a few noisy dogs or cats waiting to be seen. If it is noisy, let the receptionistknow you're there and ask to wait outside.
As already said if the carrier is top opening the vet may not have to take them out to inject..although most good vets will want to check the buns over first .

That's a very posh carrier!
Bobby and Ruby don't like being handled, but they're fine at the vets - in fact they become my best friends :D The vet is usually very good with them, and so far none of them have appeared to have felt the injection at all.

Back