• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying advice

unalakey

Mama Doe
Right well, my rabbit Lily is booked in for her spay tommorrow and i have read on here that it is o.k for them to continue eating right up to the op, after speaking to the receptionist at the vets earlier to confirm the time for taking her in the morning she said not to let her have anything to eat after 8 0'clock tonight is this true? I am very anxious about Lily having this operation as i lost a cat once under anesthetic. Any advice would be grateful. :cry:

My vet said to give them food right up untill they have the op :? they have to keep their guts moving

ignore the woman! :shock: :evil:
rabbits cannot vomit and thus it is safe to feed as normal right up until the operation.

My vet nurse said she MUST eat as normal up to op. I'd be inclined to tell the vet what the receptionist said as she is giving out incorrect advice, unless she didn't realise it was a rabbit and assumed it was a dog or cat?

Thankyou for your help and speedy replies! I will continue to feed Lily up to taking her to the vets at 9a.m and i will question the advice given by the receptionist. I did say 'my rabbit' but maybe she didnt hear so i will give her the benefit of the doubt until i speak to her. I am dreading tommorrow :cry: cant wait until it is all over and i know she's fine. I have booked Wednesday off work so i can stay with my little girl!! :p

Good luck, and hope your little girl is ok tomorrow! And just to verify what everyone else has said - rabbits should NOT be starved before surgery, they cannot vomit and also their guts are designed to have food constantly going through, it is very dangerous to starve a rabbit.

Please do clarify with the vet or nurse you go in tomorrow, if when you query it they confirm that she should have been starved, then I would turn round, walk out and make an appointment at another vet! Hopefully though it was just a misunderstanding with the receptionist :)

Good luck xxx

Get up nice and early and give her a nice big breakfast :)

It is a worry but I'm sure she will be fine.

x

Rabbits definately don't need to be starved as they have no gag reflex, so they can't vomit any food. So it doesn't cause a problem for their lungs cos theres no chance of food/stomach acid getting into lung tissue.

Hope it all goes well for your bun!!

Nicola

Well, just brought Lily home (5.15 pm) should of been picking her up at 4pm but they wouldt let me as she was still very sleepy :cry: . At the vets she crawled into her carrier and she's still not come out yet. I have created a little area in the corner of the dining room that she likes with all her things, food,hay litter tray but she hasent come out of the carrier. She is still extremely sleepy so i think i will leave her in there with the door open and let her come out when she is ready.The vet advised me to keep her in doors until i take her back for her checkup on Friday. Which is fine by me ( i like having her indoors :lol: )She looks really sad. How long til she's at least getting up?

I'm glad she got through the operation ok.

When I had Pippa spayed she just crouched in a corner for the evening and the night, only with a visit to the water bottle once. No poos but she did wee. The next morning she still wasn't eating so I grated carrot and cucumber and offered her that and she had a nibble. When she started eating this I mixed pellets in with it to trick her into eating them. She was spayed on a Tuesday too and it wasn't until Friday that she looked like she was feeling better. The main thing is to get her to drink and eat as soon as you can. Then when she poops you can breathe a huge sigh of relief. I let her poop naturally and by Weds evening she was, but I've since read of people taking their buns back for an injection if they weren't pooing by the next morning. Keep her warm and keep coming on here for advice, it has been a godsend to me!

Try not to worry, it is a major operation after all, as anyone who's had a hysterectomy knows!

Awww poor sleepy girl! Well as she is indoors she should be nice and warm, is there a towel or something you can put with her to help keep her body temperature up? A hot water bottle wrapped in a towel can also be used although I would only put it near her so she can snuggle against it if she wants to - wouldn't want her getting too hot but being too sleepy to move! Also a water bowl instead of a bottle is usually favoured as it's less effort for a sleepy bun to dunk their head into the bowl.

It is normal for her to feel poorly overnight. If she's not eating/pooping/moving much within 24 hours of the op, I'd take her back to the vet for some gut stimulant and another painkiller. Some buns recover very quickly, others take a lot longer and there doesn't necessarily seem to be any rhyme or reason with it! Hope your bun is ok xxx

You must be glad to have her home! Its horrible though when they sit there looking so miserable afterwards :( Have plenty of tasty treats like dandylions and herbs available for when she feels up to it. Its great when they take their first nibble and you know they're in their way to recovery :D

Thankyou to you all :wink: She is still lay down in her pet carrier on a blanket with one over her aswell. She hasent attempted to move just lies there sleepily and has noes rubs :D The vets have asked me to contact them tomorrow either way to let them know how she is, which i thought was nice of them, if i have any concerns about her tomorrow i will be straight back with her. Is it o.k if she dosent eat or drink anything tonight? I worry she will get dehydrated. I will put a hot water bottle with her before i go to bed as the fire is on at the moment and she feels warm enough.

YEAH!!!! we have poo's!!!!! :D Lily is alot brighter this morning after her spey. Not seen her eat that much but she is moving about in the house and produced lots of poo's and wee's. I have checked her wound and its nice and clean. Hope this means she will be o.k :)

Back