• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Are the vaccines effective straight away?

Fairy Angel

Alpha Buck
I'm doing a homecheck for a lady on Wednesday and when I was on the phone to her earlier she was asking if the vaccines are effective straight away? I've told her to ask her vets but was hoping someone on here could give me the answer as I don't know.'
She was wondering whether she should keep them indoors for a couple of weeks after the vacs to wait for full protection. She is understandably worried as her 2 previous bunnies died from myxi even tho they were vaccinated.

I think it takes 10-14 days for full immunity to develop. Mosquitos etc can still get indoors though, although the risk would probably be lower. Might be worth her checking that her vet is giving 10% of the vaccine intra-dermally (into the base of the ear is recommended) as the vaccine is not fully effective if it is all injected deep into the scruff - got to be worth checking!

Can they be vaccinated now and she pay you for them, so that they at least have a few days 'head start' on immunity?

Oh bloomin' 'eck Alison, I'm taking mine in for their myxi updates on Wednesday, to my local vets (they do late appointments on a Wednesday). I thought even they couldn't go wrong with that, but I know they put the injection into the scruff of the neck last time. :shock:

SarahP said:
Oh bloomin' 'eck Alison, I'm taking mine in for their myxi updates on Wednesday, to my local vets (they do late appointments on a Wednesday). I thought even they couldn't go wrong with that, but I know they put the injection into the scruff of the neck last time. :shock:

I think mine did too :shock:

Don't worry too much Sarah! A lot of vets do the vaccine into the scruff, and then withdraw the needle so the 10% goes intra-dermally into the scruff. This always used to be fine, but apparently Frances Harcourt-Brown did some testing last year and discovered that using this method doesn't keep the vaccine in the skin layers anywhere as well as doing it into the base of the ear. It probably takes a while for that sort of thing to get down the grapevine though, perhaps you could casually mention it when you first go in :lol: Melinda does it in the ear, so I always ask to see her at vaccine time as I know she'll do it properly!

Damn... wish I was going to see Melinda! I really thought Witham could be trusted with bloomin' vaccinations!!! :shock:

You could always ring up without saying who you are and query how they do it because you'd heard that it should be done in the ear, and see what they say?? You might find it varies from vet to vet even within the practice. Melinda is on holiday at the moment so no chance of seeing her anyway :wink:

AlisonA said:
Can they be vaccinated now and she pay you for them, so that they at least have a few days 'head start' on immunity?

I'm only doing the homecheck so I have nothing to do with actually handing over the buns. Just thought I could give her the info when I went to see her so that she would know.

kayj said:
just a thought but how long ago is it since she lost her buns to myxi?

Not that long ago from what I can gather - a few weeks from the sound of it, but I only spoke to her on the phone for a few miutes last night. She said she's cleaned everything she could with something expensive that the vets gave her ( I assume Vikron but she didn't know the name of it :? ) and has thrown out everything that she couldn't.

Have a word with phill, as I am almost certain it is 3 months before a rabbit should be allowed on or off the area where Myxi or VHD as been present. I maybe wrong.

Back