• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore hocks....tiles ok? free range time

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
What do you think of tiles (ie. ceramic kitchen ones) as a floor surface for buns with sore hocks??

I'd be concerned that it is a hard surface so might not be ok, but htey are smooth, so non abbrassive and cold, so soothing... :?

thanks x

the surface shouldnt be abrasive but its very cold during the winter months. recomend a square of carpet or at least a few old towels or a rug for them to lie on :wink:

Squishy works best as you want something the toes will sink into to take pressure off the back part of the foot.

Tam

thanks guys, should probably have said I meant when they are out loose :oops: , wouldnt use it as a cage base.....

would it be ok for free range time?

Heya Mandy! One of my buns had very bad scabs on his hocks when he came to us, and the vet recommended baby socks.... I didn't try them to be honest cos I think Peter would have eaten them straight off! :roll:

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/sorehocks.htm

This is a site for house rabbits but it's got some quite good advice on it about sore hocks. I think, at the mo whilst it's still dry, grass is the best outdoor run surface for your bun. Hope s/he gets better soon. :D

I discovered Beany has a little sore on each foot last night :( Took her to get her nails clipped today and mentioned it to the vet nurse and she said to put towels etc down for a couple of weeks and it should clear up.

Just read on that site Chloe posted that having long nails can exacerbate it, so maybe that's the reason Beany has developed them and perhaps she'll be ok now :?

my vet recomended either tiles or lino as best for sore hocks (stiff carpets can be abrasive on feet..especialy if your bun is the energetic type) vetbed (or similar) works well for somthing soft to sleep on..if your rabbit hasn't already commandeered the sofa :wink:

intresting idea about the baby socks....

thanks everyone!

And Chloe for posting the article...I have read it before, but it was good to remind myself of what it said.

Back