• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inside for winter?

fairy3853

Young Bun
Hi.

I was just wondering if any of you fetch your buns inside at night for winter.

I havnt had eddie long and as a single bun, I hate to think of him being cold at night, I know to add the extra bedding and poss a snuggle safe pad, but what are your thought about fetching them in last thing at night towards the coldest part of winter?

To be honest I wouldn't do it, the temperature change really isn't good for bunnies. If it was an especially cold night and you were worried about him I'd move him into an unused garage or shed and give him some extra bedding to help keep him warm. :thumb:

Rabbits tolerate the cold quite well as long as they have plenty of dry bedding. Mine tend to sit outside in the run all night anyway so they can't be cold! :roll: :lol:

Mine do that too Estelle! Fill up the hutches with lovely warm hay, and they prefer to sit in the cold :roll: :lol:

And mine!

I agree with bunny_burrows - the temperature difference will be too big for him, he can't put on and take off coats like we can when we go outdoors! Remember it can still be around freezing in the mornings, so to go from a nice warm, draught free house to being popped back outside in that, will be quite unpleasant!

If you're going to bring him in, you'd be better off bringing him in as a full time housebunny over the winter - but as he wouldn't grow a winter coat, you wouldn't be able to put him back outdoors again until it was very mild.

Back