• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Query on behalf of a friend

KerinTravis

Mama Doe
:? 2 People I work with have got 2 female buns that they've had for a year and recently had spayed and bonded. They are both Nethie crosses, so I am not surprised that Poppy had teeth problems. She had her front teeth removed when they started to over grow.

Since then, her two upper front teeth have grown back :? None of the ones either side, or the bottom ones have, just these. I told them that it sounded to me as though the entire of the tooth root cannot have been removed and they've grown back. Apparently, they went to the vet and the vet was able to "just pull them out of her mouth". :shock: I said, if they knew they'd grown back that once, then they should know that they'd grow back again unless the root was fully removed - am I right? :?

They're going back soon as the teeth have begun to grow back again and are growing outwards almost like tusks?! I've not been to see the lil bun myself, but I've told them that when they go to the vets, they should ask why they have grown back again to see what the answer is. :roll:

I've offered to give them the details of my vets if they carry on having problems, as although they live 20 odd miles away from me, they are a bit concerned that they keep going to and paying this vet for something that doesn't seem to be done properly :?

Am I right in thinking that the only way these "peg teeth" as my friend describes them can be growing back is that the root wasn't fully removed, and that this should have been thoroughly checked in her original dental?

Has anyone else encountered teeth constantly growing back for any other reason?

I'd be greatful for any advice :D

They are peg teeth, and do sometimes regrow after removal.

As your friend has found they are very easy to pull out and this can be done with no harm or discomfort to the rabbit.

You are right that they are probably regrowing because a small bit of root was left but it isn't always possible to remove all of the root in teeth that have become seriously twisted and or have been clipped rather than burred.

I don't think that there is any need for that rabbit to go back in for another op most vets I would think will either tell them to pull once it gets to a certain length or it's regrow will slow over time.

I have been in this same situation a couple of times, one rabbit had to have the teeth removed again in asecond op but the other whoose teeth where just as you are discribing just had them pulled when they got to a certain length.

Hope that things settle for them in time.

:D Thank you for your reply. I wanted to check as it was not something I'd had any first hand experience with, as Travis' molar removal was different. I will pass your information on to them! :D

Back