• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent help needed for a bunny on another forum

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Taken from Tufty Fund......can anyone help??? I have put a link on Tufty for the lady who was asking, so she can see any answers you might have.

I need urgent advice for Oliver, ny 4 yr old Nethie male.

On Saturday afternoon I found Oliver in a state of collapse. I had been out so have no idea how long he had been like it, but he'd seemed fine first thing in the morning. I took him to the emergency vet who said that his teeth were very overgrown and that he was dehydrated. I left him there over the weekend being syringe fed and on a drip and on Sunday the vet rang to say he was much better, bright and alert, and struggling when they tried to syringe feed him which sounds about right for Oliver. So, apart from berrating myself for not picking up on his teeth being bad (I've had a total of 5 rabbbits with malocclusion and know the signs, I honestly didn't see anything) I was happy that things were going well.

On Monday morning they rang to say he was still doing well so they would go ahead and do the dental, and I carried on with work as usual. At lunch time I had a voicemail message to say that the dental was done and Oliver was recovering and to call to arrange collection which I duely did. Stilll with me so far?

At 4.30 I popped out from work to collect him and the nurse did the handover. I could see instantly that he wasn't right, but she said it was the anaesthetic and he was still drowsy. Instead of going home I went back to work because it's just down the road from the vets and I wanted to stay close for a while. Oliver seemed disorientated and could not lift his head. Having had 5 rabbbits with malocclusion and various other illnesses I am well used to caring for post anaesthetic rabbits and knew that this was not normal, so at 6pm I rang the vets back. The nurse who answered the phone spoke to the vet and said that the vet was just off to another practice but that Oliver probably had a sore neck from wearing a buster collar, but that if I was still worried later I could go back and see a different vet. I wasn't happy wiith this, a buster collar should not leave an animal unable to lift his head.

So, still worried at 8.45 I rushed him back in to see a vet before they handed over to their night service at 9pm. This was a different vet and she suggested that Oliver may have had a neurological reaction to the anaesthetic. She gave him a steroid injection and a painkilller injection and sent me home with instructions to keep syringe feeding him which I have been doing, and just to wait and see how he goes.

Today Oliver is no better. He still can't lift his head on his own and if he falls on his side he can't get up. His ears are leaning to one side but his head is not actually tilting, probably because he can't lift it so his nose is resting on the floor all the time. He seems most comfortable hunched up. He is hungry and will eat if I put his face into the bowl (mashed pellets) but he can't support himself, I have to hold him while he eats or his nose sinks into the mash.

I wiill ring the vets at 8am and see if I can take him in before work, but I just wondered if anyone has come across this before and if so, what the best course of treatment is.

Thanks for reading.

Jackie

Sounds like a neurological incident but have never seen a Bun have this as a result of a GA. Could the Bun actually have had one CVA when origionally found collapsed, made a recovery on supportive treatment only for the GA to exacerbate the condition :?
Was the dental problem an incidental finding rather than primary cause of initial collapse :?
Has EC been considered, although with rapid onset of initial collapse that does not seem a likely cause :?
I assume steroids/fluids and supportive feeding are now all that can be done. Ensuring Bun is always clean (high risk of flystrike)
All just guesses really
Hopefully Jaypot will see this as she is likely to be more knowledgable.
Poor Bun :(

Janex

had an older rabbit with bad back teeth, he was about 9 years old. i knew there was a bigger risk with him being old, but our vet is amazing with rabbits and guineas so i knew he was in good hands. when he came round from the anaesthetic he couldnt move his back end properly and wasnt himself. the vet said it was just an adverse reaction to the anaesthetic, he would either recover in 24 hours or never and would need to be put down. i dontknow why it happened, but he didnt recover. the vet said he would have recovered if he had been younger, but he was old and not up to the stress, his body just couldnt repair it. might be worth looking into, but with your bun being so young, he should recover with some care.

Sounds as though there's been some sort of growth or infection / abscess in the teeth and gums, causing problems with eating and drinking plus nerve endings. During this summery heat it doesn't sound very good. I hope the vet is able to help you out. Best of luck, positive vibes sent out.

Back