• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Setting a bun down safely?

Whenever I've been holding Bella she takes a flying leap out of arms before I can put her down properly.
I hold on to her as tight as I can and try to go into a crouch position to pop her down gently but she starts thrashing about as soon as she realises she's heading for the ground.
Once she gets free she does a kind of flying belly flop which is very funny but hardly graceful and the landing is often quite hard seeming from my perspective (this is also the way she leaves the sofa).
Is there a way I can get her to stop doing this? She's four years old now and I'm worried she's going to do herself an injury if we're not careful.
Any suggestions?

Try covering her face! Put her head towards the inside of your elbow or set her down rump-first in a way that she can't watch the ground coming.

I find it easier to set them down on the run led (waist height) first, then hold them hand under chest/hand under bum and lift them in. If you hold her so her heads slightly higher than her bum she's less likely to nose dive.

Tam

Hello. If your ready to put her down, Drop to the floor really quickly, on your tip-toes so ur sort of knelt down but not with your knees on the floor. So your knees make a surface kinda thing, and let her get onto your knees, then jump to the floor. Xx

I put my hand over the ears, for some reason they won't thrash so much if they're ears are held down (obviously works better on an 'uppy' eared rabbit)

Well the last few times have been going better when I put her down but she still insists on throwing herself off the sofa.
We were having a cuddle a little while ago and when she decided she'd had enough and wanted to get off the sofa I pulled out an exercise step for her to make two hops down.
But once on the step she leapt up and forward (a bit like the bus in the movie Speed when it goes over the gap in the road) into the air like she was flying and landed as heavily as if she'd just gone straight from the sofa.
It was the most fantastic leap I've ever seen her make though! :lol:

Back