• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Houserabbits and a leather sofa

cheekyMonkey

Young Bun
Hi all, I have two houserabbits and very old fabric sofa due for replacement. The buns have trimmed the corners to their own likings within the first few months of moving in (not interested in it anymore) and they still have ocassional pee on the couch (screeming for attention, and/or just pure nasty).

So, I want a leather sofa. Does anybody have an experience with housebuns and leather sofas? Are they likely to destroy it? What if they pee on it? Will they be more interested in leather?

Thanks for all advice...

I haven't got a leather couch but my houserabbit sometimes likes to chew my leather handbag if I have left it on the floor.

Hey there! :wave:

Well, I have experienced how buns can ruin vintage faux leather handbags & shoes! They seem to know the ones that are the most expensive!

I reckon the same would go for a sofa. They seem to enjoy stripping coverings off things! Must be a left over natural instinct, equating it to stripping bark off trees & branches.

Little devils! :twisted: :lol:

Hiya - I have a leather sofa and 2 house buns and they are fine with it. Depending on the sort of leather it is depends on how scratched it gets from their claws. Mine jump onto it but it hasn't done it any harm. The only thing is that my little boy bun likes to lick the seats!!??? The other thing is that of course, you don't have to let them jump onto it, you can train them to know they aren't to go on it.

We have a leather sofa and have had no problems at all.

Harvey and Lolli jump up frequently to "visit" and they have tried to nibble and burrow but this does not happen very often and when it does we just move them off.

Harvey has had a few "accidents" but it is no bother as it is easy to wipe clean.

Harvey loves to lick the leather!!!!!!

122-2230_IMG.jpg

I had 2 house rabbits and I have a nice 8" hole in the back of my sofa and all the piping as been chewed.

we have a leather sofa and my bunny hasnt tryed to chew it at all. When weve sat him on it before he has had a wee on it :lol: but its just wipes clean :)

Hi cheekyMonkey i have had Honey since feb this year & we have 2 leather sofas & she has not biten it at all but has had a few pees on it while i've been sitting there beside her.

I have 1

My boys aren't house bunnies, but I regularly take them into the living room where I have a leather 3 piece suite, they sniff it like evrything else but they've never nibbled it etc, but whether they would out of boredom if the ywere in here for longer I don't know

I have a nice cream leather sofa that none of my 3 buns seem to bother with, if they sit on it they will either drag a cushion or throw (which I have over the back of the sofa) down to sit on, think the leather might be a bit cold for them. The occasional accidental wee has been no problem as it wipes off stright away with a tissue ( as it dosen't soak in ) and then washed with a damp cloth, no problems.

And that was tempting faite if ever I saw it.... :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My bunny bite the edge of my brief case, so I move it to another spot. If it's a new sofa, it's easier for cleaning if there is any urine spot. However, the bunny will bite on the part that he can chew on, still as the stitch part that stitches each leather part together. As a simple alternative, you can put a cotton towel on the new sofa. The bunny will chew on the towel instead.

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies! Think i will just have to give it a go... The worst fear is the corners and if the pee goes deep inside and i cant reach to clean that far. Rabbit pee stinks. I'be got a leather chair at my desk and they try to reach out sometimes, but cant get hold of it.

Hmm, my boyfriend says go for fabric one... but i really want leather. Felling guilty though, being vegetarian... lol

:eek:

I have a leather and a fabric sofa and neither of my house buns have chewed them. Smudge has hopped up there a coupl eof times but she prefers to jump on the fabric one...has started to think she's some kind of action rabbit and jumps from the floor to the back of the sofa, hops across and jumps off again! Madness!!

I have luckily had no problems with chewing. I initially had a few toilet troubles but generally they are so busy running around between the sofa and the wall they just don't bother!!

Back